What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple is gonna swap mine but.......

JimInChicago

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, bought mine at Best Buy so I could get the warranty of three years and accidental damage. Now my recording sound quit and Apple cannot get it to work so is willing to swap it. I have not told them I bought it at Best Buy yet and I am afraid I will screw with that extended warranty if I let them do it. But if I take to BB for repair, THEY said it will take 3 to 4 weeks as they send it to Apple and do not do a swap.

Need some advice on how to proceed on this. BTW, it is sound in the recording of movies that quit and a hard reset did not restore it. Sound from other movies taken plays fine. It is only sound for movies in the past week. I also downloaded a sound recorder and no sound with that either.

Of course, I would rather restore the function and NOT swap.

Jim in Chicago

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did they say anything of how the BB warranty would be affected? I'd say contact best buy about how it will affect the warranty if you swap iPads with apple. But I say the swap is the better choice, just make sure you back up everything first.

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would take it back to apple because it's under a year just make sure apple gives you some paper work that shows the serial # of both iPads so you could have it for records

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
JimInChicago

JimInChicago

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Done (sort of)

So today, Saturday, the Apple store replaced my iPad purchased on 4-15-2011 with a new one. They put my contacts on the new one and also called Verizon for me to move the account to the new one. I then walked over to Best Buy and the Geeks moved my Black Tie over to the new iPad.

Video works now WITH sound! BUT, Angry birds and all other games have NO sound (I did a restore with the backup I made the previous nite when all sounds were working except the problem in sound recording). Why, on Earth, would my games lose sound? I have the volume switch activated in settings so I am way confused. The iPod functions play everything perfectly!

Please help!

Jim in Chicago

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
try turning up the volume when your in the game. I had that problem once and it was as simple as that..

OP
JimInChicago

JimInChicago

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Done

I DID try that and, unlike before, nothing shows up on the screen. I used to show me the level and the changing level. The setting in settings DOES enable the volume switch but it does not work in games. All other aps work and the vol control does work in those.

Jim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 or 4.3 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, I myself am starting to experience this issue, and it's quite annoying. My music on the iPod app works fine, but when I increase the volume or anything afterwards, the bars/volume meter doesn't show up at all. Some of my games have no volume at all, and when I try to watch a video in the stash pro app, it's says "volume not available" but it is, because I've seen the video with volume before. But in other apps such as YouTube, or iPod, the volume works just fine. Granted a simple respiring sometimes fixes it, but it doesn't prevent the problem from arising again.

It seems like now we need to find similarities with our devices to try and find the issue. Is your device jail broken?

dynax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JimInChicago said:
I DID try that and, unlike before, nothing shows up on the screen. I used to show me the level and the changing level. The setting in settings DOES enable the volume switch but it does not work in games. All other aps work and the vol control does work in those.

Jim

Jim

Go into the setting, change the toggle switch (from lock screen to mute, then change it back). That should fix it for you

OP
JimInChicago

JimInChicago

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sonicrobby said:
Actually, I myself am starting to experience this issue, and it's quite annoying. My music on the iPod app works fine, but when I increase the volume or anything afterwards, the bars/volume meter doesn't show up at all. Some of my games have no volume at all, and when I try to watch a video in the stash pro app, it's says "volume not available" but it is, because I've seen the video with volume before. But in other apps such as YouTube, or iPod, the volume works just fine. Granted a simple respiring sometimes fixes it, but it doesn't prevent the problem from arising again.

It seems like now we need to find similarities with our devices to try and find the issue. Is your device jail broken?

I have NOT jail broken my iPad and would love to know what this could do for me. My first generation iPod touch IS jail broken and is running Droid as an option on boot up.

Ok, first, why r u up at 4am??? (just kidding, but that is early for me). Fact is that I finally called Apple, set up a case, and she walked me thru checking settings and the answer WAS, just was suggested, changing the settings for what the switch does, running Angry Birds, the changing the settings back, the running AB again and it works! Not only that, but now the volume rocker DOES show on the screen, which it did NOT (in games) before. She had a long explanation for this but now that I know how to fix it, I am NOT gonna trouble myself about why this happens. Seems strange to me that ear buds worked (before this fix) when the speaker did not.

I hope they fix this with the next iteration of the IOS.

Thanks to all for their help; it got me where I needed to be!

Jim in Chicago

OP
JimInChicago

JimInChicago

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sonicrobby said:

Not sure my post made it, so to answer, my iPad is not jail broken. I do not know what more I could do if it were. Could use some advice on this, now that my audio is fixed.

Jim in Chicago

Pichon617

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JimInChicago said:
Not sure my post made it, so to answer, my iPad is not jail broken. I do not know what more I could do if it were. Could use some advice on this, now that my audio is fixed.

Jim in Chicago

Jail breaking your iPad opens up a whole new world for it.

Sent from my JB iPad using iPF

OP
JimInChicago

JimInChicago

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I do not know what "a whole new world" means. Can someone please tell me, specifically what kinds of things I can do if jail broken? And would a restore take me back to "unjailbroken" in case I need warranty work? And is there a forum for this? I love what this process did for my iPod Touch.

Jim in Chicago

Pichon617

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JimInChicago said:
Ok, I do not know what "a whole new world" means. Can someone please tell me, specifically what kinds of things I can do if jail broken? And would a restore take me back to "unjailbroken" in case I need warranty work? And is there a forum for this? I love what this process did for my iPod Touch.

Jim in Chicago

It opens your iPad so you can download tweaks and other great stuff from Cydia. It gives you total control of your iPad

Pichon617

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's also true no JB yet for iPad2

1st gen iPad owners have an elite device I don't need a camera on my iPad

Most reactions

Latest posts