What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple iPad Air Screen Protector: Is it Necessary?

Larry Price

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting ArmorSuit screen protector for my iPad Air. But, I'm not really sure if the Air really needs a screen protector.
What do you think?

Thanks for your help in advance. :)

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
After I cracked the screen on my iPad 3 earlier this year, my husband did a self repair (not recommended) and I never put a screen protector back on it. I liked it better without one. I'm not planning to put one on my new iPad Air, but I did get the Smart Cover and Squaretrade insurance. It does help if you have a stand or something that allows for adjusting the viewing angle if you prop it up a lot. With my old Gripster case, I could usually find an angle where there was no glare.

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, it certainly doesn't need one; it's a matter of personal preference. My own experience was dreadful. As soon as I put it on (the Mini), it was full of bubbles. Of course, this was probably due to my carelessness/inexperience, but I immediately took it off and threw it away. I just live with the fingerprints and clean my screens regularly with a microfibre cloth.

Another point made by my brother-in-law...if you use a screen protector, at the end of your device's life (when you might want to sell it), you'll have a pristine, like new screen, and an obviously duller and used casing. Mind you, I'm not endorsing his view in any way...just throwing it out there. If one is reasonably careful and cleans the screen(s) regularly, it should be just fine.

Last edited:

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
Good point. I do think it helps your resale value if you can say it has always had a screen protector. If I hadn't bought insurance for my Air, I would probably use one.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've owned three ipads, the first being an iPad 2. I kept it in a case and never let sand get on the screen. Never put a protector on it. The screen was like new when I sold it. I still have two other ipads (3nd gen and mini). Both are over 1 year old and neither have scratches on the screen. But sand doesn't get on the screen. It takes something harder than the glass to scratch the screen, simple bread crumbs won't hurt. Same for my iPhone 4S, my Nexus 7 and 10.

But some folks swear by screen protectors.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used my iPad 2 for 2½ years and only had a screen protector on it the first few months and when i sold it there wasn't a mark on it, I think they are pretty tough under normal use.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
I have always had screen protectors on my iPad and iPhones. I have gotten top dollar when trading back in because of it. I have them on my current ones as well. It is nice to not have to worry about what I use to wipe down the screen. I use the Zagg protectors as they provide free replacements.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tablets are very fragile and cannot withstand side falls. I use a rubber case for it and added a screen protector. It keeps the screen intact even if it cracked. I do a lot of playing with Infinity Blade 3 with it. Because of my long nails (And it grows pretty fast) it keeps getting scratches. It also makes the screen smoother. I don't have to worry about bubbles since I let the seller do it for me. He is a expert in doing it.
Yes it is recommended if your a hardcore player.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This time I'm gonna skip it. I had one and still do on my iPad 2 which is now my youngest daughters. It was a good fitting protector but it was a nightmare to get on correctly and as others have pointed out, it's not these screens can't take some touching. They are touch screens after all! Not doing it this time.

Webalistic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.webalistic.com
Similar to what's mentioned above, I'd say you don't need it. It depends on how you treat your posessions.
Apart from the 'protective' property, which only guards against specific kinds of damage, I use it mostly for other properties.
I have fairly oily fingers for some reason and the ipads are always very slippery to me when carrying around. These covers provide me better grip and less visibility of fingerprints (despite the advertised oliophobic properties)

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anything less than the actual iPad glass is taking away from the experience. Who cares if after years of use a couple scratches show up? And who cares that after a couple years you can get top dollar for it, you experienced an inferior product all those years.
IMO iPads should never be sold when you update to a better one. They should be given away to family members without one.
Screen protectors don't feel as good as the glass. You also just turned the high quality retina display into something less.
Skip the screen protectors IMO. Enjoy your iPad how it was meant to be.

bwwhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased the Gen 1 iPad within a few weeks of its release. Had a screen protector or two for a little while and hated it. Kept it on maybe a month. Been using it almost daily for over 3 1/2 years. Still not a mark on the screen. Just traded it in at Target last night for $200. Much more than I could have gotten anywhere else. The $200 is in the form of a gift card good for anything at Target, but I'm using it toward the iPad Air. Very excited.

Bruce

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you purchase a screen protector your doing it for the next owner, not yourself.

Not as sensitive, not the same feel, and unnecessary IMHO.
Use a good case/cover when not in use and you'll be just fine with normal care.
The screen on my iPad4 is like brand new.

Go naked and enjoy! :D

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ditto what everyone else is saying about not needing a screen protector. My iPad2 screen is as good as new after 2.5 years. All I ever used was a smart cover.

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

FrankP99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen on the Air seems more "plastic" to me than my iPad 3. I never used a protector on the iPad 3 but I am thinking the screen on the Air is not as hard as the iPad 3. Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts