What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple ID account question with my iPads

Klmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Apple account that my iPads, and iPhones are synced to. Well my husband uses this account too. Did it that way because he has the older iPhone and iPad when I got new ones. Well we now need to set him up with his own account. He will be syncing to a different computer. Is there a way that he can sync his new account with his iPhone4 and iPad2 and keep the apps that are on them. Basically loads them into his new account??

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. He'll have to rebuy apps with his new account. Apple doesn't allow sharing of apps among accounts.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
when you purchase an app the record is attached to that account that it was purchased with. App purchases cannot be transferred to other accounts. To have the same apps under his account he would need to purchase them again.

However if its not many apps, what you can do is setup all of his devices and computer with his new account. He will start purchasing any new apps with his own personal account. You can then at any time go into the iphone or iPad under app store settings and sign out of his account, sign in under your account, and download any apps on your account that you want on that device. When done sign back out of your account and let him sign in to itunes under his account so that it remembers his account as being the last one signed in for when he wants to purchase any new apps.

What this means is that he will have his own separate account, but you can briefly sign in with your account just to download those few apps you want to give him without paying again. There is only one downside with doing this. When ever there is an update for the apps you added to the device with your account, It will ask for YOUR password in order to update the apps. He will not be able to update the apps purchased under your account without entering your current password.

hope this helps and was not to confusing.

Last edited:

Saje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I seem to have run away and joined the convent of the holy mother of iTunes. The convent has strict rules of celibacy. If I open a new account in the UK (where I now live) iTunes, any attempt at synching will result in all my US iTunes apps, music, etc. being sent to iTunes hell. Same hell if I try it the other way, except the US apps will be the eternally damned. Unless by the grace of St Steve, an angel out there can tell me there is a work around so all my apps can just get along?
If no work around, is there anyone who can explain the logic Apple uses to not create a "universal" account for folks like me who actually need to be able download region specific apps, i.e., banking, utilities and services.

Any advice would be most welcome.
An ipad yank in jolly old England

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I seem to have run away and joined the convent of the holy mother of iTunes. The convent has strict rules of celibacy. If I open a new account in the UK (where I now live) iTunes, any attempt at synching will result in all my US iTunes apps, music, etc. being sent to iTunes hell. Same hell if I try it the other way, except the US apps will be the eternally damned. Unless by the grace of St Steve, an angel out there can tell me there is a work around so all my apps can just get along?
If no work around, is there anyone who can explain the logic Apple uses to not create a "universal" account for folks like me who actually need to be able download region specific apps, i.e., banking, utilities and services.

Any advice would be most welcome.
An ipad yank in jolly old England

Lol, drama queen much?

You can use multiple app stores. Try this thread, post No. 8:

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...assistance/63493-downloading-kindle-ipad.html

Saje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Lol, drama queen much?

You can use multiple app stores. Try this thread, post No. 8:

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/63493-downloading-kindle-ipad.html

Well, so many posts are so quick and dry, they don't convey the angst of trying to do something simple but being stopped for unknown reasons. I read the post you linked. While I understand what he is suggesting, it doesn't address the issue of content installed from one account, being erased when synching the other. UNLESS Apple now allows users to transfer purchases regrdless of origin of sale. Secondly, if one has two devices and uses the auto synch to load the app on both of them, what would happen if one device was set up with one country's iTunes and the other device set up using a different country's iTunes?

Saje

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, so many posts are so quick and dry, they don't convey the angst of trying to do something simple but being stopped for unknown reasons. I read the post you linked. While I understand what he is suggesting, it doesn't address the issue of content installed from one account, being erased when synching the other. UNLESS Apple now allows users to transfer purchases regrdless of origin of sale. Secondly, if one has two devices and uses the auto synch to load the app on both of them, what would happen if one device was set up with one country's iTunes and the other device set up using a different country's iTunes?

Saje

There's no erasing of apps even with multiple accounts. Plenty of people have been using multiple app stores for years.

Apple doesn't allow merging of iTunes accounts for various reasons, but the thing with diff countries' stores involves legally allowed uses in various countries for content and many developers choosing to focus apps in only certain countries' stores because of their own development resources and ability to support customers in many countries or not.

Basically, the use of multiple countries' stores is a workaround, and if that doesn't work for you, that's just how things work out sometimes.

Saje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
There's no erasing of apps even with multiple accounts. Plenty of people have been using multiple app stores for years.

Apple doesn't allow merging of iTunes accounts for various reasons, but the thing with diff countries' stores involves legally allowed uses in various countries for content and many developers choosing to focus apps in only certain countries' stores because of their own development resources and ability to support customers in many countries or not.

Basically, the use of multiple countries' stores is a workaround, and if that doesn't work for you, that's just how things work out sometimes.

Thanks for continuing the discussion. I'm fine with everybody and their dog having multiple accounts. My understanding is that you cannot have apps on one device that come from two different country iTunes and you kiss one set goodbye when you snych. As far as the legally allowed uses- that bit is worrisome because if you are buying an app from iTunes in any country, how can that be illegal? For example, the majority of apps I have about the UK came from my US iTunes. Most are tourist oriented and probably not sold in the UK iTunes. But for specifically local apps, i.e., my UK bank, the lunch program at my kid's school, my family's cell phones company, utilities, etc., it is as you said about developers choosing to focus resources on locals not international. I cannot access their apps which is how things shouldn't work out so why should anyone be fine with it? Who is the consumer here and who is Big Brother?

I think you are mistaken about the erasing of apps for different country iTunes accounts. Why it is ok to merge multiple iTunes accounts within the same country but not between country iTunes is not a legal issue, it is a protectionist issue. Why should 5 million people who live and work overseas (excluding military) not have access to a universal itunes account that allows them to purchase specific apps that are not available or even competitive with apps from their original country's iTunes? Apple should get a thirty year old message: act local think global. There are companies who model this, albeit they are multinational: Amazon-my US account allows me to enter US and UK credit cards, US and UK delivery addresses. I didn't have do anything different. PayPal and eBay: for both I had to set up a UK account separate from my US accounts. But no one is going to come to my house and remove the items I bought in the States when I add in what I bought here. Google/gmail, need I say more. Finally, if I am backing everything up to iCloud, and Apple doesn't care where in the world I am to do this, why do I need two iClouds?

I guess I will spend my free time uploading and downloading between two sets of apps everytime I need them after they are erased. Now who wouldn't be fine with that?

Cheers!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for continuing the discussion. I'm fine with everybody and their dog having multiple accounts. My understanding is that you cannot have apps on one device that come from two different country iTunes and you kiss one set goodbye when you snych. As far as the legally allowed uses- that bit is worrisome because if you are buying an app from iTunes in any country, how can that be illegal? For example, the majority of apps I have about the UK came from my US iTunes. Most are tourist oriented and probably not sold in the UK iTunes. But for specifically local apps, i.e., my UK bank, the lunch program at my kid's school, my family's cell phones company, utilities, etc., it is as you said about developers choosing to focus resources on locals not international. I cannot access their apps which is how things shouldn't work out so why should anyone be fine with it? Who is the consumer here and who is Big Brother?

I think you are mistaken about the erasing of apps for different country iTunes accounts. Why it is ok to merge multiple iTunes accounts within the same country but not between country iTunes is not a legal issue, it is a protectionist issue. Why should 5 million people who live and work overseas (excluding military) not have access to a universal itunes account that allows them to purchase specific apps that are not available or even competitive with apps from their original country's iTunes? Apple should get a thirty year old message: act local think global. There are companies who model this, albeit they are multinational: Amazon-my US account allows me to enter US and UK credit cards, US and UK delivery addresses. I didn't have do anything different. PayPal and eBay: for both I had to set up a UK account separate from my US accounts. But no one is going to come to my house and remove the items I bought in the States when I add in what I bought here. Google/gmail, need I say more. Finally, if I am backing everything up to iCloud, and Apple doesn't care where in the world I am to do this, why do I need two iClouds?

I guess I will spend my free time uploading and downloading between two sets of apps everytime I need them after they are erased. Now who wouldn't be fine with that?

Cheers!

Believe as you like. No point asking questions if you already think you have all the answers.

Most reactions

Latest posts