What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Apps Gone Free

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pages, Numbers and Keynote appear to be free for iOS devices. The Mac versions are still $20 each.

Also iMovie and iPhoto iOS versions are free.

No idea whether there is a time limit on these.

riturajsharma19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw them as free downloads on the app store and wasted no time in downloading Pages and Keynote. Don't really need Numbers, but will download that as well.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Perhaps they are only free for some. I just checked and they are $9.99 each in the US Apple Store. I checked with an iPad 4 iOS 7.0.6. My wife bought it for me in December 2012. (That sounds so long ago.) Maybe I need to refresh my store account?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps they are only free for some. I just checked and they are $9.99 each in the US Apple Store. I checked with an iPad 4 iOS 7.0.6. My wife bought it for me in December 2012. (That sounds so long ago.) Maybe I need to refresh my store account?
The apps are only free if you purchased a qualifying iOS device or Mac after October 23rd. This does not apply to older devices such as the iPad 2.
Once downloaded to the qualifying device, however, you can download the apps to any of your devices capable of running on iOS 7 at no additional cost.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pages, Numbers and Keynote appear to be free for iOS devices. The Mac versions are still $20 each. Also iMovie and iPhoto iOS versions are free. No idea whether there is a time limit on these.

Hi Kevin! So good to see you!! ;)

They came free with the iPad Air......although I did notice the price still on them when I went to download them on my iPad 2......I then accessed them from the bottom of the Featured Screen - Apps made by Apple......they had the Cloud download icon there.

They may also be free for the new mini Retina and the latest iPhone. I also think if you bought a new Mac you got them free there also.

Hopefully someone will be able to confirm this.

Edit......I see you beat me Sci! Good to know then! ;)

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The apps are only free if you purchased a qualifying iOS device or Mac after October 23rd. This does not apply to older devices such as the iPad 2. Once downloaded to the qualifying device, however, you can download the apps to any of your devices capable of running on iOS 7 at no additional cost.

Even I thought so, but when I searched up these apps (without logging into any Apple ID), they were still $9.99 on an iPhone 5s, I exchanged recently for an iPhone 4s. I don't know why that happened, but I got them for free when I logged into my Apple ID :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The apps are only free if you purchased a qualifying iOS device or Mac after October 23rd. This does not apply to older devices such as the iPad 2. Once downloaded to the qualifying device, however, you can download the apps to any of your devices capable of running on iOS 7 at no additional cost.
Even I thought so, but when I searched up these apps (without logging into any Apple ID), they were still $9.99 on an iPhone 5s, I exchanged recently for an iPhone 4s. I don't know why that happened, but I got them for free when I logged into my Apple ID :)
The easiest way to get the apps for free on your other devices after first downloading them to a qualifying device is to go to the purchased list on your other devices. That's how I did it.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course it showed $9.99. As long as you don't sign in with the Apple ID that purchased the device, you don't get it for free.

image-8092549.jpg

Keynote without Apple ID, I get the same result with my US Apple ID.
I purchased an iPad Air, so the apps were free for me as well.
This is what I see when I sign in with my Austrian Apple ID, which I used to purchase the Air:

image-4110631775.jpg

Last edited:
OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. That explains it. I just bought an iPhone 5S so I guess that's why I qualified. Sorry for the false alarm.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pages, Numbers and Keynote appear to be free for iOS devices. The Mac versions are still $20 each.

Also iMovie and iPhoto iOS versions are free.

No idea whether there is a time limit on these.

I guess there was a time limit because they aren't free now! Unless I'm looking in the wrong place but I don't think so! I am sorry I missed the sale!

Peace begins with a smile. :)
M Teresa

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They are free if you have recently bought an iOS device. You have to look in the App Store using the device that qualifies.

I've since found out that the Mac versions are included with new Macs. My MBP doesn't qualify, unfortunately.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I guess there was a time limit because they aren't free now! Unless I'm looking in the wrong place but I don't think so! I am sorry I missed the sale!
I just read scifan's post and now know why I won't be able to get them for free! :(

M Teresa

M Teresa

Most reactions

Latest posts