1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

App with locked folders

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by tshawthorne1213, Jan 11, 2012.

1. tshawthorne1213

tshawthorne1213 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re there any note taking apps that require a password to open the folder? I am a teacher and have a classroom set of iPads that I want my students to use for almost everything, but obviously can't afford them seeing work from a previous class. Any suggestions in general for this (maybe how to have multiple accounts)? I have emailed the developer of Notetaker and he had said it was worth looking into but I have not heard back from him in a couple of months now. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,732 / 0
    Hi, and welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you and hope you enjoy your visit(s).

To save me some typing, let me cut-n-paste something I wrote the other day:

Maybe this will work for you? Disclaimer: I have it and it's one of my favorite note-taking apps. And now, with the ability to type in text versus just writing with a finger/stylus - it's awesome. But, I am sure there are others out there. YMMV.

Good luck.

Marilyn
  3. tshawthorne1213

tshawthorne1213 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It does, thank you so much! I hadn't heard of it before. Does it annotate PDFs? That is something I really use often as well in the class. I don't see anything about it in the description but I'm definitely going to try to Incorporate this.
  4. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,732 / 0
    Yes, you can use PDFs, but it's a bit of a kludge. The app is not really designed to annotate PDFs, but what you can do is create a custom page/background of your PDF(s) and then use them in the notebook. I've attached a picture from NoteShelf's user guide that describes this:

[​IMG]

As you can see, it's an involved process, but if you use PDFs as a template, to write and re-write, on them, maybe you can do this. Again, NoteShelf isn't really designed to annotate PDFs.

There are others that do though - Goodreader ($4.99, USD) does. Plus, Goodreader also lets you lock documents/folders too, now that I think of it. So, maybe take a look at Goodreader - versus (or plus) NoteShelf.

Marilyn
  5. tshawthorne1213

tshawthorne1213 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you again!! Really need ease being I'm teaching high schoolers to use these too. But I Really like the look of Noteshelf so maybe I can work this out and use it some as well. I hadn't heard of it previously and it looks very user friendly.