App with locked folders

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by tshawthorne1213, Jan 11, 2012.

1. tshawthorne1213

tshawthorne1213 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re there any note taking apps that require a password to open the folder? I am a teacher and have a classroom set of iPads that I want my students to use for almost everything, but obviously can't afford them seeing work from a previous class. Any suggestions in general for this (maybe how to have multiple accounts)? I have emailed the developer of Notetaker and he had said it was worth looking into but I have not heard back from him in a couple of months now. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0
    Hi, and welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you and hope you enjoy your visit(s).

To save me some typing, let me cut-n-paste something I wrote the other day:

Maybe this will work for you? Disclaimer: I have it and it's one of my favorite note-taking apps. And now, with the ability to type in text versus just writing with a finger/stylus - it's awesome. But, I am sure there are others out there. YMMV.

Good luck.

Marilyn
  3. tshawthorne1213

tshawthorne1213 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It does, thank you so much! I hadn't heard of it before. Does it annotate PDFs? That is something I really use often as well in the class. I don't see anything about it in the description but I'm definitely going to try to Incorporate this.
  4. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0
    Yes, you can use PDFs, but it's a bit of a kludge. The app is not really designed to annotate PDFs, but what you can do is create a custom page/background of your PDF(s) and then use them in the notebook. I've attached a picture from NoteShelf's user guide that describes this:

[​IMG]

As you can see, it's an involved process, but if you use PDFs as a template, to write and re-write, on them, maybe you can do this. Again, NoteShelf isn't really designed to annotate PDFs.

There are others that do though - Goodreader ($4.99, USD) does. Plus, Goodreader also lets you lock documents/folders too, now that I think of it. So, maybe take a look at Goodreader - versus (or plus) NoteShelf.

Marilyn
  5. tshawthorne1213

tshawthorne1213 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you again!! Really need ease being I'm teaching high schoolers to use these too. But I Really like the look of Noteshelf so maybe I can work this out and use it some as well. I hadn't heard of it previously and it looks very user friendly.