Anyone have a credit card compromised through iStore?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by nateccnn, Dec 31, 2010.

1. nateccnn

nateccnn iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently put a credit card number into setup for the iStore, made two purchases and the next day that card was used by someone on the other side of the country at brick and mortar stores. This card has never been used on the Internet before. I am suspicious but I can't find anything on the Internet that says anyone else has lost a card thrugh iStore. It seems like a secure store. Am I just being paranoid?

The bank canceled the card and is reversing the charges so I am not Out anything other than time. Just curious if anyone else has had a card skimmed through iTunes or iStore.

Nate
  2. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Never heard of anyone having a credit card leaked through Apple.

One possibility is you have "malware" on your computer, which tracked the information you typed in with a keylogger and they got your credit card info and made a fake card. I have heard of that happening before.
  3. txdave13

txdave13 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You say that it had not been used on the internet, but had it been used otherwise? Anytime I've had fraudulent charges, it has been due to someone at the store or restaurant taking the number.

Being that they used it at a brick and mortar store, they (most likely) would have needed a physical card. This is a weird situation. Sorry that it happened to you, but I'm betting that it wasn't iTunes.

FWIW, I've been using the same card on iTunes for five years and have never had a problem.
  4. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    A good group of thieves can actually quickly and easily make credit cards with all appearances of a real card. It usually won't swipe correctly, but they just claim something is wrong with the card and the clerk enters the information manually. Easy as pie.
  5. nateccnn

nateccnn iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've searched and searched and find nothing that indicates the iStore is not secure. I'm betting the card was skimmed at the gas pump...the second to last purchase we used the card for. I'll report that station to the bank and see if they pick up on a pattern.

Thanks guys.

Nate
  6. kyomagi

kyomagi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had someone from china steal my itunes and put over $100 on the account and try to sell it. Lucky for me apple itunes support was open on sunday and they shut down the account before anything was used.
  7. BrennB

BrennB iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    i had issues with my credit card on itunes about a year or so ago, right after making an itunes purchase I had fraudulent charges in another state, including those fishing charges where they tap you for a buck and see if the card is still active. I removed the card and use only gift cards now. Same exact thing happened to my b/f with some same charges.. like we get a girls gone wild video purchased and sent to our home (like a haha statement). Lucky the bank caught it and a little background work we found the ip that was using the card (mostly purchased internet space, subscriptions etc). anyway, it could be coincidence but two different houses, two different cards and purchasing habits, and both immediately compromised after making an itunes purchase.
  8. Marabou Muddler

Marabou Muddler iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    For those of you who had problems w/ iTunes, did you use wi-fi in a public area?
  9. BrennB

BrennB iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    nope, and no malware either. I'm sure of that.. though I can't prove it was itunes at fault the coincidence the second time (mine vs 1st time his) was too much, we both dumped our cards off itunes after that.
  10. nateccnn

nateccnn iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mine was done in my home on a secure wifi.

Nate
  11. peled

peled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Secured WiFi ??
    There is no such thing.
    Every move you do on the net is secured up to a point.
    Like WEP was once considered to be a very secured WiFi protection.
    These days, it is being considered as an open very un-secured protocol.
  12. Creeky

Creeky iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello all,
    Just to add my experience. I have had my iPad since Xmas day. Yesterday I had a phone call from my bank telling me my card has been compromised, this was a few minutes after using the card to purchase a magazine through the Zinio website via my iPad.

So luckily I have got away with it as the bank was on the ball. But it has raised questions of security. I would be surprised if my details were hacked via my WiFi unless they can remotely access my router somehow.

Anyway I won't be using the iPad for Internet purchases from now on.

Happy new year

Creeky
  13. nateccnn

nateccnn iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah...I keep hearing newbies say this kind of stuff. Hear it on Fox news too. So why don't you come on over and park in my driveway with your laptop and sniffer and see if you can place a small simple text file on my hard drive that says something like "Told ya so!". When I see that file on my hard drive (And I will see it if you are successful) then I will bow to your expertise.

Nate:D
  14. peled

peled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    It is simple

I can refer you to thousands of articles, but how about some movies ?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqleMWzSvUk[/ame]

And if you want to learn it your self try this one:
    [ame=http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1106987/how_to_crack_wep_wireless_networks_for_noobs/]How To Crack WEP Wireless Networks For Noobs! - Video[/ame]

Once we are in your network, we can do everything.
    We know your internal Address, and we can intercept anything you send and recive
  15. nateccnn

nateccnn iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah...I've shown both those videos to my students. They get a kick out of them too.

I still think the compromise took place at the gas station. If it had anything to do with the AppStore purchase then it iwas on the other side of the cloud, not on my network. I'd know about it...trust me.

Not trying to be arrogant...just very confident on this issue.

Nate
  16. Creeky

Creeky iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok,so while we are on the subject of hacking wifi networks and you guys seem to know what your talking about. Can you tell me what is regarded as the most secure protocol for protecting a wifi network.

I have these options on my Router;
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-802.1x

Thanks in advance.

Creeky
  17. nateccnn

nateccnn iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Those protocols will slow down a hacker but none will stop the most serious hackers. I won't share my secrets in a public forum but I will say that you need multiple levels of firewall protection to stop breeches. I use a combination of soft and hard firewalls on both sides of my wireless router. Even the pinholes can be compromised.

If you live in a metro area and have a wifi, the best defense is to not have anything sensitive on the wifi network. Use the wifi as a simple access point for browsing. If you do any transaction do them inside the secure network...be it a physical desktop or behind multiple layers of firewall protection.

Keep in mind that the chances of being attacked are usually smaller than one thinks. Like I said earlier...it is more likely that my card was compromised at the gas pump. All that data floats across a secure network too. Everywhere you swipe that debit card you are putting yourself at risk. We can't live under a rock and still enjoy life. Use a debit card that is secured by the bank and let them do their job. If the card is used for fraud the bank will reimburse you if you follow their protocol. To me that is the most important thing to remember. It relieves a lot of stress in life. Bank of America has a zero liability card that requires your photo. Costs nothing. Way more protection than you'll ever get on your wifi...unless you hire a security expert to set the firewalls appropriately..which could cost thousands of dollars. I'm lucky because I have access to legacy equipment that is only a few months old so I am constantly switching things up and it is new enough to foil most of my neighbors...lol...

Nate
  18. Creeky

Creeky iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the advice Nate. I live on the outskirts of a small town so I guess that the chances of being hacked maybe smaller. But I will use your advice anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Creeky
  19. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've read numerous stories of credit card skimmers using gas pumps to gather numbers. They're not as secure or monitored as ATMs, so the crooks like that.

As for credit cards and iTunes...I only use a virtual credit card there (ShopSafe from Bank of America) with a limit of $10. When that's used up I put another $10 on the card. If the account gets compromised the best they can get is $10 or less.
  20. nateccnn

nateccnn iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll look into the shop safe card. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the tip.

Nate