What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have a credit card compromised through iStore?

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently put a credit card number into setup for the iStore, made two purchases and the next day that card was used by someone on the other side of the country at brick and mortar stores. This card has never been used on the Internet before. I am suspicious but I can't find anything on the Internet that says anyone else has lost a card thrugh iStore. It seems like a secure store. Am I just being paranoid?

The bank canceled the card and is reversing the charges so I am not Out anything other than time. Just curious if anyone else has had a card skimmed through iTunes or iStore.

Nate

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never heard of anyone having a credit card leaked through Apple.

One possibility is you have "malware" on your computer, which tracked the information you typed in with a keylogger and they got your credit card info and made a fake card. I have heard of that happening before.

txdave13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You say that it had not been used on the internet, but had it been used otherwise? Anytime I've had fraudulent charges, it has been due to someone at the store or restaurant taking the number.

Being that they used it at a brick and mortar store, they (most likely) would have needed a physical card. This is a weird situation. Sorry that it happened to you, but I'm betting that it wasn't iTunes.

FWIW, I've been using the same card on iTunes for five years and have never had a problem.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A good group of thieves can actually quickly and easily make credit cards with all appearances of a real card. It usually won't swipe correctly, but they just claim something is wrong with the card and the clerk enters the information manually. Easy as pie.

OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've searched and searched and find nothing that indicates the iStore is not secure. I'm betting the card was skimmed at the gas pump...the second to last purchase we used the card for. I'll report that station to the bank and see if they pick up on a pattern.

Thanks guys.

Nate

kyomagi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had someone from china steal my itunes and put over $100 on the account and try to sell it. Lucky for me apple itunes support was open on sunday and they shut down the account before anything was used.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i had issues with my credit card on itunes about a year or so ago, right after making an itunes purchase I had fraudulent charges in another state, including those fishing charges where they tap you for a buck and see if the card is still active. I removed the card and use only gift cards now. Same exact thing happened to my b/f with some same charges.. like we get a girls gone wild video purchased and sent to our home (like a haha statement). Lucky the bank caught it and a little background work we found the ip that was using the card (mostly purchased internet space, subscriptions etc). anyway, it could be coincidence but two different houses, two different cards and purchasing habits, and both immediately compromised after making an itunes purchase.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nope, and no malware either. I'm sure of that.. though I can't prove it was itunes at fault the coincidence the second time (mine vs 1st time his) was too much, we both dumped our cards off itunes after that.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine was done in my home on a secure wifi.

Nate

Secured WiFi ??
There is no such thing.
Every move you do on the net is secured up to a point.
Like WEP was once considered to be a very secured WiFi protection.
These days, it is being considered as an open very un-secured protocol.

Creeky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,
Just to add my experience. I have had my iPad since Xmas day. Yesterday I had a phone call from my bank telling me my card has been compromised, this was a few minutes after using the card to purchase a magazine through the Zinio website via my iPad.

So luckily I have got away with it as the bank was on the ball. But it has raised questions of security. I would be surprised if my details were hacked via my WiFi unless they can remotely access my router somehow.

Anyway I won't be using the iPad for Internet purchases from now on.

Happy new year

Creeky

OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine was done in my home on a secure wifi.

Nate

Secured WiFi ??
There is no such thing.
Every move you do on the net is secured up to a point.
Like WEP was once considered to be a very secured WiFi protection.
These days, it is being considered as an open very un-secured protocol.

Yeah...I keep hearing newbies say this kind of stuff. Hear it on Fox news too. So why don't you come on over and park in my driveway with your laptop and sniffer and see if you can place a small simple text file on my hard drive that says something like "Told ya so!". When I see that file on my hard drive (And I will see it if you are successful) then I will bow to your expertise.

Nate:D

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is simple

Yeah...I keep hearing newbies say this kind of stuff. Hear it on Fox news too. So why don't you come on over and park in my driveway with your laptop and sniffer and see if you can place a small simple text file on my hard drive that says something like "Told ya so!". When I see that file on my hard drive (And I will see it if you are successful) then I will bow to your expertise.

Nate:D

I can refer you to thousands of articles, but how about some movies ?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqleMWzSvUk[/ame]

And if you want to learn it your self try this one:
[ame=http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1106987/how_to_crack_wep_wireless_networks_for_noobs/]How To Crack WEP Wireless Networks For Noobs! - Video[/ame]

Once we are in your network, we can do everything.
We know your internal Address, and we can intercept anything you send and recive

OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah...I've shown both those videos to my students. They get a kick out of them too.

I still think the compromise took place at the gas station. If it had anything to do with the AppStore purchase then it iwas on the other side of the cloud, not on my network. I'd know about it...trust me.

Not trying to be arrogant...just very confident on this issue.

Nate

Most reactions

Latest posts