What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An interesting take

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen constant stories about iPad killers that do not hold up. Now a reputable pundit says that an iPad killer is very far from happening. Not that it is impossible, but the rational is that there is a limited production capacity for the touch screens needed and the bulk of the capacity is tied up by Apple, making iPads. It is not any conspiracy by Apple. It is a few companies that recognize that a proven market is worth a lot more than a potential market. So they reach out to Apple and offer their production. And while Apple may be a tough company to please, I suspect that there is great cachet to gain by being on their vendor list.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would suspect Apple may hold more control with the screen business then most think. You can bet that contracts are in place holding Apple top priority for screen output. All Apple has to do is place more screen orders at any given time... And you can bet, they have those contracts with nothing but the best.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LG says that they cannot keep up with the iPad demand, even though they are backing off production of other types of screens due to low demand. Once again it looks likes Job's folly becomes an embarassment for the competition.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LG says that they cannot keep up with the iPad demand, even though they are backing off production of other types of screens due to low demand. Once again it looks likes Job's folly becomes an embarassment for the competition.

I read one of those articles claiming LG couldn't keep up with screens and It claimed screens for Apple. I don't think the screen dry up is due to competitive reasons, at least yet anyway :confused:

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where have you read stories about iPad killers? There is nothing that is even attempting to compete with the iPad yet, and the only place I have even heard the term iPad killer is on Apple themed forums by people being snarky and sarcastic referring to $150 dollar Android tablets that have yet to be released.

Also, you must define what would constitute an iPad killer. Apple fanboys would never accept anything as an iPad killer because they will always have the App Store to point to as the great advantage. For me, personally, the first tablet that comes out that has HDMI out with 1080P playback, USB ports, ability to stream network shares and ability to customize the interface with a respectable battery life will be an iPad killer. A majority of the people on this board I suspect would never agree that something could be an iPad killer except another iPad, because there will always be SOMETHING about a competing tablet than can be mocked. Even if its an amazing tablet that is feature rich, it will still be criticized for the battery life or aesthetics or weight or some other reason.

As of yet, there is no competition even for the iPad. There are SEVERAL tablets that have been demoed that look like they will destroy the iPad, for me at least. The eeePad is shaping up to be amazing. A 16x9 screen immediately makes it better than the iPad, since watching HD content on the iPad leaves you with black bars. It also is coming with Android or Windows Compact 7, which looks absolutely stunning but is an unknown entity at this point. Next is the exoPC which is running Windows 7 with a very attractive GUI overlay. The big advantage of the exoPC is that it can run any windows software while remaining pretty and functional. The downsides are obviously that the OS is not designed around touch so there will always be quirks.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a few iPad copy cats on market, I wouldn't call them iPad killers but i think they are getting nicknamed iPad Killers, only because..... I personally don't think there never will be a single iPad killer. I think we will se a never ending slue of wannabe iPads on the market

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ugh, its the iPhone all over again. The tech media raving I-killer this, and I-killer that... At which point whatever device they're talking about picks up a 1% market share for six months and then sinks without a trace. Yeah, Apple's shaking in their little designer boots ;)

When a device has a similar market share to an iPad, then it can be called competition, and just like the iPhone (who's only real competition by market share in the UK are blackberry devices - that you get free), that's a long way from happening.

None of that is suggesting Apple have the answers to everyones portable computing or mobile phone needs - but consumers, as a collective, are pretty good at indicating what they want.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts