What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American bought iPad3 in South Africa (international use)

kheathcote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, let me preface this post with a thank you in advance.

I have called AT&T international customer service, spoke with many self proclaimed "experts" on the issue, and presented my issue to the folks at the Apple Store--all resulting in no good information that can actually solve my problem. Additionally, I have read many forum posts that were old information or of little assistance.

My initial question is simple:

If I buy an iPad3, presumably under the domestic carrier AT&T, how can I get this device to operate in South Africa?

Specifically, do international (South African) sim devices work after "cutting them down" still? Are they available? Can I buy them in the US before I depart for Africa? Is there another option? I've read and heard many "stories" but there is seemingly no factual reports of the exact methodology for getting the iPad3 to work in this way.

Why: I will be traveling to Durban South Africa as part of my clinical shadowing program for medical school and will require my iPad3 to have adequate internet coverage while away from WiFi spots.

Thanks again for your help, and if you have any comments, questions, or concerns please let me know!

*If someone has detailed information about how they brought an iPad to Durban South Africa, and has had success with buying a sim device from a local retailer--or really any information--is greatly appreciated.*

k

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All GSM networks work with the iPad. Yes you can cut own the SIM from a local carrier.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum!

You need to contact the local cellular data provider in South Africa. I did a search in Safari and found this carrier. As thewitt replied so succinctly, you get a micro-sim card from the carrier, replace your American installed card and buy enough data to cover your stay in South Africa.

Note: I was able to find this one carrier, there has to be others. I'm providing this for information only and is not an endorsement.

Attachments

• image-713513323.jpg
    image-713513323.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 606

Most reactions

Latest posts