What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"No SIM Card Installed" since IOS6 upgrade in South Africa

mikekath

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 2 purchased from iStore in South Africa 14 months ago.
Since upgrading to IOS 6.0, I have lost by 3g connectivity, message "No SIM Card Installed", WiFi also a lot more erratic.
I have been to iStore and was told to upgrade to IOS 6.01 - done - problem not resolved.
I have removed sim and re-inserted many times.
I have rebooted MANY times
I have done a complete backup and complete restore - no improvement.
Sim moved to my iphone and works fine - so not a faulty sim.....
iStore now says my sim card reader is faulty and out of warranty ?????????
How would this happen and so suddenly? Can software upgrade cause a hardware failure?

Noe of the above makes sense to me.
Any-one out there have a similar issue?
Any advice?

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mikekath said:
I have an Ipad 2 purchased from iStore in South Africa 14 months ago.
Since upgrading to IOS 6.0, I have lost by 3g connectivity, message "No SIM Card Installed", WiFi also a lot more erratic.
I have been to iStore and was told to upgrade to IOS 6.01 - done - problem not resolved.
I have removed sim and re-inserted many times.
I have rebooted MANY times
I have done a complete backup and complete restore - no improvement.
Sim moved to my iphone and works fine - so not a faulty sim.....
iStore now says my sim card reader is faulty and out of warranty ?????????
How would this happen and so suddenly? Can software upgrade cause a hardware failure?

Noe of the above makes sense to me.
Any-one out there have a similar issue?
Any advice?

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Have you tried another SIM card? You want to rule out the possibility of a bad SIM card before having the iPad repaired.

i3uri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation: suddenly I have on the middle of my iPad screen the message "No SIM Card Installed". Also, my warranty period expired 1 month ago.

upgrade to IOS 6.01 - same issue
re-inserted SIM - it's working for a couple of minutes and then bammm >>> No SIM ...
tried another sim card of another operator - same issue
rebooted - same issue

What is happening? I really don't know how to solve it!

Anyone solve it?

Thanks

OP
M

mikekath

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried a different sim, same issue. Definately problem with the iPad and not the sim.
I just can't understand that this portion of the device (sim reader) which is NEVER touched, suddently fails after an ISO upgrade?
Still looking for an answer tha makes sense to me!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mikekath said:
I have tried a different sim, same issue. Definately problem with the iPad and not the sim.
I just can't understand that this portion of the device (sim reader) which is NEVER touched, suddently fails after an ISO upgrade?
Still looking for an answer tha makes sense to me!

It's not likely that you SIM card reader failed as a result of the iOS 6 update. It's probably coincidence that it happened at the same time as the update.

OP
M

mikekath

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MY iPad still in with Apple.
Have however contacted a 3rd party repairer who has said that they are being inundated with units with the same issue.
Apparently, it is not a fault of the sim reader.
They have found that the issue can be rectified by logging onto Itunes, connection the iPad via the CABLE (Must be connected to itunes and via the cable) and then whilst connected, turing the aeroplane mode off and on again. Apparently it then picks up the sim and 3g signal again???
Not sure why this would work but give it a try!
Apple are trying same with mine as we speak.
Even if the sim reader, apparently less than $60 to get it replaced by a repairer ----- NOT THAT THEY SHOULD PACK UP AFTER 13 months!!!!!!!

Fed up

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also in South Africa. Just upgraded to IOS 6.01 today because the Google maps app came out. Have the same type of problem. iPAD does not recognise SIM. Don't tell me its anything but a bug in the upgrade. Saw a post in the UK about problems with 3G connectivity and SIMS after upgrading. Can't even set up the new system. One useless iPAD 10 months after purchase. Can't even begin to get lost in the Austraian outback. Apple has definitely reached its peak and is starting to slip. Is there any one in the silent Apple behemoth out there?

OP
M

mikekath

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At 10 months it is still under warranty, TAKE IT BACK NOW AND INSIST THEY REPLACE IT...... Trust me that they will not run around you, you have to do all the chasing.......
I agree that it should NOT happen, and still fighting my case ..... &$@//():;:)$@.

OP
M

mikekath

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That should have been :( :( :(

If you want to talk let me have your cell and I will call you!!!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
szalicom said:
he,,, i same problem,,, pless help me,,,,

Have your iPad checked out at the Genius Bar in an Apple store. If a hardware defect is causing it to not recognize the SIM card it will be replaced at no charge if still under warranty., and at the normal repair cost if not.

Most reactions

Latest posts