What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I tagging my music wrong, or is the iPod app weird like this?

XciteMe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there something wrong with the way I'm tagging my music in iTunes, or do you notice this too?

In the iPod app, when you view all your music by Albums, some albums list the release date (for example, April 10, 2008), while other albums only list the release year (2008).

I don't see any way to change or edit this in iTunes... Go to your Albums on your iPad and see if you notice the exact same thing... Some albums have the exact date, and some only have the year.

P.S. Most of you might be like, "Who cares?" But I'm very precise with the way I tag my music, and just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Is it like this for anybody else?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to the properties > info of the music file and change it there, most likely.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am still getting used to the way iTunes operates on the iPad. To reserve memory space, they have a tendency to hamper anything that is not mission critical. What you need may be in there, but you will have fun trying to figure it out. I used to burn CDs with MP3 in folder albums, and now they won't allow that.

OP
X

XciteMe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to the properties > info of the music file and change it there, most likely.

The only option to edit the release date, is "Year" under Info. It only allows 4 digits.

Where are some albums pulling the month and day from?? :confused: It's like some form of meta data that I can't access.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like iTunes is searching for extra info or something.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I asked pc or Mac, because I have both and iTunes is very different on the different platforms, you can do different things on each platform. You might try locating the specific file on the pc in explorer and right clicking on it, windows will let you edit the tag files there and that may be where it is getting the info.

I only have my iPad now, so I can't check.

OP
X

XciteMe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I asked pc or Mac, because I have both and iTunes is very different on the different platforms, you can do different things on each platform. You might try locating the specific file on the pc in explorer and right clicking on it, windows will let you edit the tag files there and that may be where it is getting the info.

I only have my iPad now, so I can't check.

Interesting... Yes that may be the case.

Check your albums on your iPad now, if you're able to. When you tap an album and it flips over to reveal the track listing, do some albums have the Month, Day, Year, and some only have the year???

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct, some show an exact date and some show just the year. I have over 10k songs in my library (all on the iPad), and a lot of them have messed up data, more work than I'm willing to do to get them all cleaned up. But I understand wanting them to be correct, I will check it out when I get home and let you know what I find.

OP
X

XciteMe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help Wolffmann, I appreciate it. I don't think it's the way your music is tagged, I think this must be a form of iTunes listing data for certain albums. There must not be a way to edit this.

It's weird... But I really just wanted to make sure it's not just me. If anybody else can confirm their albums are like this, go ahead.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I tried everything I could think of. I did notice that I only saw the full date on the .m4a files, but if I converted it to an .mp3 I did still see the data in the .mp3 version on the iPad, but as you pointed out, the only place you can see that extended data, is on the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts