What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I cucked? Bought an stolen Ipad I think

OrLuckyLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heya,

So I think I got scammed, I bought an iPad from a craigslist kind of site, met up with him in-person, he showed me that the iPad works and is the model that I wanted. Start-up screen was there and I was able to navigate the apps/menus.

So I got home and wanted to install it fresh and with the latest firmware but as soon as I did an fresh install (master reset?) I'm unable to get past into "Choose your WiFi" menu as after I choose my WiFi it says that I need an admin and password codes which are owned by the city I live in?!?

Is this iPad stolen from some city worker because the seller didn't mention anything about this?

Did I just lose my money or is there a way to resolve this problem by doing some jailbreak or something?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

It looks like you’ve purchased a supervised device with Activation Lock enabled. This works the same as an iDevice locked to an iCloud ID. You can’t remove the Activation Lock, even a jailbreak can’t help removing it. There are sites promising to unlock such devices, but these are scam sites, and don’t do anything else but cause damage to the iPad or iPhone by unlocking it.

If possible, contact the person who sold this iPad. If it wasn’t stolen, he/she is the only option to get your device unlocked. Otherwise you won’t be able to use it.

hoben02

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, but if you don’t mind using a different interface take a look at Edited - scam site

Last edited by a moderator:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The device is locked on Apple’s servers, and this can’t be modified by someone else “outside”. Bypassing the DNS might help temporarily, but just for a very short time, and then the iPad is locked again, or even bricked or damaged.

thirdsun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had no idea such a device existed. I bought a few second hand iPads and I always did a reset and activation myself before handing over the cash. Makes you look a bit anal for the seller who probably just wants the money and go. But there's no taking a chance with this.

I have friends who bought cloud locked phones which is useless. Never heard of this feature.

Most reactions

Latest posts