What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AirPrint

Sesmru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if any air print printers are stand alone or they need to use a computer as well. I need a portable print solution eg iPad + printer only to be transportable.

IOShowtodude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might have to set up the printer using a computer sorry but I forget. My wifi printer is an Epson and all you need to do is plug it into the wall there's no other cords then I can print away on my wifi network. What type of printer is yours? -Message me or comment back-

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Generally both devices need to be on the same wifi network. You may also need a small wifi access point to make this happen. I have heard also that some printers also allow Ad Hoc connections, but I am unsure how well AirPrint works with this.

kdog2013

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was under the impression that one could print DIRECTLY from an iPad etc to an AirPrint printer without any router or network. Am I mistaken?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was under the impression that one could print DIRECTLY from an iPad etc to an AirPrint printer without any router or network. Am I mistaken?

Sort of. Generally, you do need a wifi network, but there are some models that can create their own wifi network, or work in Ad-Hoc mode.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To clarify this question in order to use AIRPRINT you need either a wifi net work ie modem wifi router, a portable MYFI 3G or 4g device (supports 5 devices inc printers) and a wifi printer that supports AirPrint (look for AirPrint logo on box).

A second option if you do not have a wifi network at home is to purchase a wifi DIRECT printer which not only supports the first option but can also be used as a wifi hotspot allowing one to print direct from any iPhone, iPod or iPad or any computer. Android devices require an app to be installed to use this type of solution. Currently HP has I believe 3 or 4 printers that have print direct feature that does not require a PC or a network. These printers are AIRPRINT friendly.

This is an ideal solution for some one mobile however the printers are not as one would say portable.
One can use other apps to print but I personally have not tested them.
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most reactions

Latest posts