Airprint without a router

Discussion in 'AirPrint' started by andysouth, Jan 8, 2013.

1. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I think the difficulty with the Airport Express set-up itself is due to the fact you do not have an Internet connection, at least for the set-up process. If you could set it up where it can connect to a router and Internet, get it working, then move it back to its final location, you may have more success.

2. McDog

McDog
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    i am dealing with a similar issue. right now, have the ipad getting internet access thru a WIFI hotspot device with an ATT $50/month for 5G of data plan. my wireless printer works, BUT... my plan is to stop the ATT 5G plan (contract expires soon), and go with the 3G or even 1.5G prepaid monthly plan direct from the ipad. if i understand it correctly, i will not have a WIFI hotspot since that comes only with the prepaid/monthly 5G plan. reading all the posts about getting a non "AIR" printer to work with an ipad gives me a headache- sounds like a lot of hoops have to be jumped thru. my QUESTION, then is... can i force my ipad (with 1.5G or 3G data/month) to be a hotspot? i'm sure i read that somewhere online- maybe it required jailbreaking, which i'm not sure i want to do. if i cant do this, what is the easiest solution to print to a wireless printer from an ipad when you do not have a wireless hotspot?? long post... how many people read this whole post??

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Your iPad does not have to be capable of generating a personal hotspot in order to connect with an AirPrint enabled printer. The easiest way to print from an iPad is by using an AirPrint enabled printer. Here are the complete Apple directions to do so. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4356

4. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Would the hotspot device still have the ability to create a wifi network even though it is no longer providing the additional web access? Possibly. All you need to do is provide a wifi network to connect through to print.

5. McDog

McDog
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, i may need that info eventually, but am trying not to have to buy another printer cause i just bought one. that is why i am trying to figure out how to use a wireless printer with the ipad.

6. McDog

McDog
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    i dont see how, i would think an active ATT SIM card is necessary for it to be a hotspot but i really dont know. i have confirmed with ATT that if i go with the 5Gig "session-based pricing" then the "tethering" capability of the ipad is automatic. however, i am trying to find the post (not at this forum) that claimed that the ipad could be "forced" to tether even when going with the 1.5G or 3G prepaid session.