What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airport Extreme Base Station -- worth the money?

kylera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to replace my router, and I'm looking at the Extreme Base Station. I have more than one PC and Mac at home, as well as an iPad (duh!) and a Droid. Should I expect any issues when trying to connect?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, the iPad is the only device that I know of that sometimes gets picking about the router. For some reason I've never heard of it having problems with the Airport Extreme. Go figure. ;)

If the price is ok with you, it's a good consumer level router. Few special business or large network features, but reliable and reasonably easy to set up (for a router). At least mine always has been. Mine is rather long in the tooth though. It's the first model after they stopped doing the UFO thing. I had of those too. I bet it would still work (slowly) if I could find the box it is stored in.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that it depends on how much you value the Apple brand. I used a DLink "storage router" for many years. It cost much less and does the same job as far as I can see including file and print server. I only stopped using it when I upgraded to WiFi 11n.

I now have a separate DLink WiFi router and and WD NAS, in the hope of improved disk access times. It would be interesting to compare the cost of Airport Extreme + USB drive to what I paid for my set up. Probably not much different I would think.

I had to buy an HP AirPrint printer so that I could print from the iPad of course:D.

By the way, my iPad connects much more readily to WiFi than my Windows PC which for some reason can be quite reluctant to connect.

Last edited:

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i had routers in the past that did their job, but tech support only lasted a year(free), after the year when i keep getting headaches upon headaches with them, and can't get support was stupid. Until my service provider had a Gateway(modem and wireless router), where i know i will have tech support.

well enough of tech support, i got the apple extreme, plugged in a long time ago, no issues here.
and i get to do wireless backups for my mac, and have access to my 1TB wirelessly + much more.
with the new iOS 5 coming soon, you can even setup the extreme on your device, and i heard its gonna do other stuff too.

Most reactions

Latest posts