Airport Extreme Base Station -- worth the money?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by kylera, Aug 1, 2011.

1. kylera

kylera iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I need to replace my router, and I'm looking at the Extreme Base Station. I have more than one PC and Mac at home, as well as an iPad (duh!) and a Droid. Should I expect any issues when trying to connect?
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,422 / 1
    Well, the iPad is the only device that I know of that sometimes gets picking about the router. For some reason I've never heard of it having problems with the Airport Extreme. Go figure. ;)

If the price is ok with you, it's a good consumer level router. Few special business or large network features, but reliable and reasonably easy to set up (for a router). At least mine always has been. Mine is rather long in the tooth though. It's the first model after they stopped doing the UFO thing. I had of those too. I bet it would still work (slowly) if I could find the box it is stored in.
  3. RAC

RAC iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I think that it depends on how much you value the Apple brand. I used a DLink "storage router" for many years. It cost much less and does the same job as far as I can see including file and print server. I only stopped using it when I upgraded to WiFi 11n.

I now have a separate DLink WiFi router and and WD NAS, in the hope of improved disk access times. It would be interesting to compare the cost of Airport Extreme + USB drive to what I paid for my set up. Probably not much different I would think.

I had to buy an HP AirPrint printer so that I could print from the iPad of course:D.

By the way, my iPad connects much more readily to WiFi than my Windows PC which for some reason can be quite reluctant to connect.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  4. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    i had routers in the past that did their job, but tech support only lasted a year(free), after the year when i keep getting headaches upon headaches with them, and can't get support was stupid. Until my service provider had a Gateway(modem and wireless router), where i know i will have tech support.

well enough of tech support, i got the apple extreme, plugged in a long time ago, no issues here.
    and i get to do wireless backups for my mac, and have access to my 1TB wirelessly + much more.
    with the new iOS 5 coming soon, you can even setup the extreme on your device, and i heard its gonna do other stuff too.