What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airport Extreme and iPad

iPadsouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I all. Okay. I'm using an Airport Express to share my wireless modems Internet to all my apple devices. No problem. But, when setting my Airport Extreme as base, the only device working is my MacBook. On iPad I can only access safari. No apps, no email receiving (it does send after minutes waiting).

I'm fed up with the extreme. In order for it to work on MacBook I had to take the MTU down to 1392 (survive provider suggestion). So, how do I do the same on iPad and iPhone. By the way, doesn't work at all on iPhone.

I'm using a DNS address as provided by my service provider as well. Obviously a DHCP. Tried static ip. No luck.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my extreme is working perfect....5ghz to my devices.

forgot how i setup.

but is it updated?

maybe you need to reset, and start fresh again.

OP
iPadsouth

iPadsouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have, numerous times and all software up to date.

I suspect it's my service provider. They keep on telling me to adjust the MTU. I don't know how on the iPad and iPhone.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I all. Okay. I'm using an Airport Express to share my wireless modems Internet to all my apple devices. No problem. But, when setting my Airport Extreme as base, the only device working is my MacBook.

you need to disable the wireless portion of your modem, and use as a modem only.....do you know how to?

OP
iPadsouth

iPadsouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

The extreme is about 2 years old but with latest firm and software.

My modem receives wirelessly (iBurst down here in darkest Africa) but distributes only via a Ethernet port (CAT5 cable) thus, you can't connect to the actual modem wirelessly.

For more detail on the modem you can visit www.iburst.co.za, it's a wireless desktop model.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not sure about this one, only your tech support can assist you with that modem, not sure if it has to be in bridged mode.

give this a try, first.
How-To: Setup an Airport Extreme in Bridge Mode — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

i did a lot to my extreme, i even have a 1Tb HD hooked up via usb, so i can do wireless backups(special setup required), and i never have trouble with this router.

but that airport express is really good, its basically a wireless router.....but the extreme is better.

OP
iPadsouth

iPadsouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alas, no. I have just tried this, need to connect PPPOthingy, only gives bridge option when Ethernet is selected. :-(.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the wireless modem has DHCP service turned on, you need to turn them off on the Extreme. When two DHCP servers are in competition it becomes a race to see who assigns the address first, and if the Extreme assigns the address it may be a problem.

This is purely guess work, of course. It is a problem I've run into in the past, and had similar random seeming problems.

Most reactions

Latest posts