What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Words to 'Pages' internal dictionary

doctorbenny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am relatively new to Pages. While it works relatively well, my biggest issue is with its pre-programmed dictionary. In short: it's limited. Is there a way to add words (or alternative spellings) to the internal dictionary? Is there access to the ipads available internal dictionary? It is frustrating having a document filled with red lines warranted by properly spelled but unrecognized words while those words that are misspelled are overlooked as another one of those unknown words.

Any help is appreciated.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is good news and bad news.

Bad news first - can you add words to Pages/iPad's internal dictionary? - No!

Now the good news - is there a workaround? - Yes!!

Another Member noted that the iPad does not flag as a spelling mistake the names of contacts in the iPad's Contacts app.

So he suggested adding special words - say business or technical terms etc - that the iPad keep flagging as spelling mistakes as 'spoof' entries in Contacts. It works just fine and many Members use this as a good workaround.

Tim

OP
D

doctorbenny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brilliant! THANK YOU! While this is a hassle, it certainly works and helps to rid me of my red underlining headache!

A word for those who do the same thing: be sure to re-start your pages in order for the changes to take place. That is, if you add text into your contacts list don't expect the words to be read as spelled properly until you close and re-start your pages app.

Again, THANK YOU so much for this suggestion. Hopefully apple will consider this change in the future.

Dysphemia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got an iPad with the intent to write fiction, got Pages and immediately noticed this problem. Spent an hour trying to figure it out, finally called support and flummoxed the support guy, who then called Pages support and flummoxed him. He suggested I send a Feedback to Pages and hope for update, which I did. Then this morning discovered another work around! Go to Settings>keyboard>shortcuts and add the word in Phrases without assigning a shortcut and hit save, this will cause the iPad dictionary to learn the word (including proper names). Now to have the Pages dictionary also learn it, type the word in your Notes app -- copy and paste in Pages document. Voila!

AlanH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great replies. Thanks to all. I should just add that you have to close and re-open the particular document that the underlining occurred in for the said underlining to disappear.

ACN1228

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the best way I have found to add words to the ios pages dictionary. I have also heard about an app out there. Either way. One would think that adding words to the dictionary would be a topic covered by Apple.

Jbpeil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now to have the Pages dictionary also learn it, type the word in your Notes app -- copy and paste in Pages document. Voila!
Just FYI, as of iOS 7.04 this last step is no longer necessary. After adding the word to the shortcuts list you just have to restart Pages and it will update its library. No need to use Notes at all.

Most reactions

Latest posts