What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding contacts

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have Windows 7 home prem.
I used Gmail/Gcalendar & Gcontacts (which is part of Gmail).

Calendar syncs fine.
I have set up Gmail on my iPad2, so I am getting the mail.

How do I get my contacts to sync in iTunes?
in iTunes: I have the box checked for syncing, set to Google Contacts. When I tap configure, all I am asked to do is enter my login name & password. What am I missing?

Last edited:
OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm, you mean Microsoft Exchange , yes?

So delete my current gmail account for the mail, then set up exchange ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
sethm1 said:
Hmmm, you mean Microsoft Exchange , yes?

So delete my current gmail account for the mail, then set up exchange ?

Yes, or you can just go to the GMail account's settings and turn off everything (you can leave notes on if you like).

Pay attention to the instructions for syncing multiple caledars if you have the in Google.

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still not 'there' yet.

Followed the steps from the above link.
Good news - no duplicates of Contacts or Calendar entries - in the browser version.
No duplicate Calendar entries on the iPad. Yea.

But still no contacts syncing to the iPad2.

(in Itunes- have "Sync Contacts..." checked and set to Google. As before when I tap on configure, only options are to enter username & Password. And "All Contacts" is checked).

Sync Calendars is left alone. However when I open the Calendar App on the home page the (Google) Calendar and appropriate entries are visible.

What did I forget?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Turn off contact syncing in iTunes. Off, off, off. You do not need this when syncing through the Google account on the iPad, and it can actually cause problems if you do both.

Make sure Contact syncing is turned on in the Google Exchange account you created. Open the Contacts app and wait a bit to see if it syncs. If it does not work, go back to the account and try turning it off. If you have all you contacts in Google, go ahead and let it delete the local contact list, if any. When you turn it back on let it merge the contacts.

Let me know what happens. If a Groups ribbon appears in the left page of the contacts app, tap it and see if you created a second contact list. This would happen if you did not did not delete then merge a local contact list.

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops.
Ok is now unchecked in iTunes.
Contacts is checked on the iPad.
Still nothing so unchecked -which gave me a delete contacts msg.
Then rechecked & did a sync - still nothing.

It's been about 10 minutes now - still no contacts in the contact app.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's not an iTunes sync you need. iTunes has nothing to do with syncing through a Mail, Contracts, Calendars account on the iPad. It only handles syncing to the computer and whatever programs, apps, accounts are set up on the computer.

You need to be connected to the internet on the iPad for the contacts to sync. You are, yes? Double check by making sure you can browse in Safari.

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
YES connected.
Some of my posts was via the IPF app.

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appreciate it.
Its late for me.
Ill check back in tomorrow.
In mean time- thanks for all the efforts.

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may found the problem.
My contacts are organized in various folders ( personal, business, etc).
but none in the actual My Contacts folder.

When I get home tonite, will copy all my contacts into the My Contact folder and see what happens.
I tried to copy contacts from a particular folder (group) via the safari browser on the iPad, but no luck.
Guess will need a real PC.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep, that is probably it. For whatever arcane reason (probably to do with one side or the other not complying 100% with standards) you can't sync groups or folders with Google Contacts. As far as I know only the MobileMe account will sync groups at this time.

Sorry I didn't think of that.

We can hope the next update fixes this, but I've not heard anything along those lines, so it's probably a long shot.

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Success.
Prior to starting this thread, I had 'Googled' for instructions on setting up Contacts.

None of them mentioned that the iPad Contact (App) only supports "My Contacts" and none of a user's own Groups/Folders.

Now to find an App (have one on my Droid) that takes the devices contact list a step further by allowing Groups.

Most reactions

Latest posts