What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding contacts

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
something came up.
One of the developers on a contact mgr app says that Exchange does not support Groups.

Can I go back to my original mail set up (the Gmail set up in Settings) now that I have the contacts issue resolved?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The original GMail setup does not support contacts at all.

When you delete the Exchange account you can chose to keep the contacts you've already synced on the iPad, but they will no longer update with Google.

The only advantage to going back ago the original Gmail setup is that you can sync notes. Otherwise the two accounts work about the same; other than the Exchange style account will allow syncing multiple Google calendars, while the standard GMail account will only sync the main calendar.

In short, there really is no reason to go back.

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks.

I will write to apple for a refund.

I tried with the developer but he responded:
"I took time answering for you. Now I am done."
Great customer service.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The good news is that when iOS 5 and iCloud come out in the fall you will have a way to sync/backup you contacts for free. And Groups will work.

It is possible to sync MobileMe contacts and Google contacts. I've done this, but like the iPad syncing it only works with the My Contacts folder and groups in MobileMe are lost on the Google side. I expect that iCloud will also do this, at a minimum, but wouldn't want to put any money on it.

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Goods news then.
IOS 5 just around the corner (Sept) I hope.

ashley69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
The good news is that when iOS 5 and iCloud come out in the fall you will have a way to sync/backup you contacts for free. And Groups will work.

It is possible to sync MobileMe contacts and Google contacts. I've done this, but like the iPad syncing it only works with the My Contacts folder and groups in MobileMe are lost on the Google side. I expect that iCloud will also do this, at a minimum, but wouldn't want to put any money on it.

Ok. I was going to ask how to copy my contacts from my iPad to my 1st new Mac. Looks like iOS 5 will sort this problem out.
Am I correct.
Cheers
Ash

Most reactions