? About ebook readers

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by DashSatan, Jan 7, 2011.

1. DashSatan

DashSatan
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Could some one just tell me what the difference is in the ebook reader apps on the iPad? I know the have a kindle app and such, why would some one chose that over iBook? Does it have extra features or something?

2. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    The biggest difference between the apps is really not in the app itself, but in the selection of books! The iBooks app has a very nice visual appearance, but no one can beat Amazon in terms of selection.

3. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ibooks does not have the diveresity of titles offered. I believe it is Random House (which owns a number of other publishing names) that they have never reached agreement with to carry in the Ibooks store. That leaves a lot of titles and authors not available for purchase from Ibooks. Also, Amazon and Barnes and Noble sometimes have offers not available through Ibooks. Those are the reasons for me not using it much. I also use Bluefire for library lending books which Ibooks can't handle (unless your reformat illegally).

Diane

4. freebirdforever

freebirdforever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I have all the Ebook apps just because I like the variety and the deals that Amazon and B&N sometimes offer. Books for 99c are a STEAL!

5. theipadstudent

theipadstudent
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Another bonus that Kindle has over the iBooks app is wider number of devices you can read Kindle books on. Anything that has a kindle reader for it you can read your books on - iPad, iPhone, blackberry, PC, Mac, Kindle, etc.

6. The Alternative

The Alternative
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Although you are correct that the Kindle app has to be loaded onto the device to read the .azw proprietary format I have to respectfully disagree in one respect. iBooks allows the .ePub format which is now a standard e-book file format that is supported by almost* every e-book reading device including Sony Reader, BeBook, IREX Reader, iPhone, and the Nook from Barnes & Noble’s. This gives it a distinct advantage over Kindle.

Other than hardware devices, you can also read .epub books on your desktop or mobile phone using free e-reader software like Stanza, Mobipocket, FBReader (for Linux), Aldiko (for Android) or Adobe Digital Editions.
    [*] Amazon Kindle uses a proprietary format (AZW) and cannot read ePub files directly though you can use the free Stanza desktop application to convert an ePub ebook into AZW (or even PDF), a format that the Kindle can understand.

I also have to give mention to Calibre which is a free software program that can format almost any document type into DRM-free .ePub books.

7. peled

peled
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    You can always translate .mobi into .ePUB

8. USBill

USBill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    No reason not to have the Kindle reader, iBooks, Stanza, and the Bluefire Reader.

9. iPadster

iPadster
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I personally like the visual appearance of iBooks. I usually search for the book I want to read with the Kindel, and B&N apps to check pricing. If I find it in iBooks for the same price I buy it.

10. zorah

zorah
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Like USBill is getting at, no reason to not just have all of them. I have several for that reason. Just pick and choose. There are a lot of reading programs out there too, like I have a public domain manuscript downloaded into a PDF reader program, etc. Versatility rocks!