A week in the life of an Android user.

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Appleaday2566, Apr 6, 2012.

1. zphone

zphone
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    If by buttery you mean it's as smooth as spreading cold butter from the fridge on a piece of toast. Yes, I find it a bit buttery also. The iPad is much more reactive to input than my iconia.

2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    How I'd you get ICS on the a500?

3. mikespe

mikespe
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Typical fanboy! Your loss!

AQ_OC...It's the TegraOwners ICS ROM. Ice Cream Sandwich is the game changer when it comes to comparing iOS to Android. I also have a Galaxy Nexus phone running ICS and it's like night & day when comparing older versions of Android to this. All kidding aside it is smoother than my friend's iPhone. He could NOT believe an Android device could be like that. Battery life isn't as good as the iPhone BUT the iPhone is 3g...4g just EATS batteries and will do the same on the iPhone 5 (look at the 4g iPad compared to the WIFI iPad & see the difference)

The A500 is supposed to get the OFFICIAL OTA sometime this quarter and Acer is actually quite good at pushing out updates...unlike Motorola which takes FOREVER! If you're into rooting & can't wait for the OTA then try the TO ROM (Thor is the developer managing the rom). He even incorporated something called Cornerstone which is an addon for Android...kind of a sidebar that you can add 2 apps you frequently use into the windows...basically like having 2 windows open in Windows! But he also has a version without cornerstone...

I can't reiterate enough that BOTH OS's have a lot to offer & I am so sick of people bashing one or the other (and from my perspective most of the bashing comes from Apple fanboys than Android users...yet Android DOES have it's share of bashers.)...People are really missing out by not embracing both OS's...it's like ONLY using Windows or Mac...learn both & take advantage of what both have to offer...you can NOT say one is better than the other...it's all relative to the task you need to do.

4. zphone

zphone
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Say what you will but the iconia that I bought prior to the iPad is nowhere near as smooth. That's not just my opinion but my experience and other forum posters say the same thing. There is just a certain lag that I have seen on all android devices that I do not see on iOS. Again not bashing. Just stating what my experience has been.

5. mikespe

mikespe
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    But you need to read what I wrote...I said my A500 RUNNING ICS! Totally different than Honeycomb! Ask anyone with a Galaxy Nexus phone & they'll tell you the same. ICS is leveling off the playing field. Now it will only be a matter of what format you prefer...not which is BETTER or SMOOTHER.

6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking forward to checking out ICS on my Galaxy Note. It was delayed for Note, so I'm on Gingerbread. It's not as smooth as my iDevices, like with maybe a second's delay in a few instances, but I think it's because I have the AT&T Note, rather than the international unlocked version, which is supposed to be zippier and have slightly longer battery life.

I try to keep up to date on various OSs. I held out on Android till the devices and OS matured and reached my tech ability level, and it looks to me that at least a handful have arrived. Woot. My husband has a freebie Windows phone that we've been messing with, too. (He's actually using my hand-me-down iPhone 4, though.)

I expect to have more and more choices in Android mobile devices, as well as options in iOS and maybe others.

Choice and competition are all to consumers' advantage, no matter what you end up buying.

#16 Kaykaykay, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I see things going that way, too.

Android inevitably needed more time to mature, because of its varied uses among devices and manufacturers.

iOS vs. Android: I figure it's like societies -- you can live in a homogenous society, which is generally more cohesive and stable, or you can live in a heterogenous society, which is richer in differences as well as bumps in the road. The good thing with devices and OSs -- you can live in both societies at the same time, rather than having to pick one.

#17 Kaykaykay, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  8. mikespe

mikespe
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Also keep an eye on windows 8 probably due out sept/oct...it is supposed to combine mobile & desktop the same way ICS combined tablet/phone

9. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yes, very interested in that. I was reading how Microsoft is whipping out its checkbook, trying to get more apps developed.

10. bookdoc

bookdoc
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have an iPad 2 and Color Nook which is dually booted to the Android system and its native Nook. I carry the 7" Nook because its small, for research when writing, but it's light years in operation effectiveness from the iOS which operates smoothly. Using a VPN, which runs fine on the iPad and I consider essential for wifi, is usually problematic with the Android, it often freezing. I'd far rather get a smaller iPad than any Android tablet no matter the price.