A Serious Plea for Help - from a novice Ipad user

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by iRich, Jan 30, 2012.

1. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    DrHouse & addiosamigo - I am not aware that any of these options work on an iPad which is protected by a passcode and has never been linked to the PC which you are attaching to!

DrHouse, I have a clean Ubuntu installation. It cannot read either of my iPads which are both passcode protected UNTIL I unlock the device by entering the correct passcode. Obviously, this is of no help to the OP since the passcode is unknown.

addiosamigo, same deal with these tools. IF the device has been unlocked on the PC at least ONCE you will be able to access the device because the correct encryption key will be saved with the driver, but since the OP stated the device is not paired with a PC for syncing, then again, there is no way this should work for him.

If either of these security flaws existed on all passcode protected iPads it would be a pretty serious and many many folks would be up in arms about it!

Sorry iRich, but AFAIK there is no way to bypass the security of an iPad which has an unknown passcode and has not been paired and unlocked at least once on a PC to which you have access. I'd be extremely surprised if you found a way to gain access.

#11 f4780y, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. addiosamigo

addiosamigo
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ah ok I thought that may of been the case but mentioned it just in case

3. Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    When I plug my iPad 2 (5.0.1) into my computer, go to My Computer (on the Laptop), there is an entry there for my iPad as a Drive. Opening that drive accesses the folders that contain the photos in Camera Roll and another similar folder in the Photos app.

My iPad is not locked and I'm runinning a "NoLockScreen" app which bypasses the lock screen althogether. Perhaps there is something different about a locked iPad, but you might give it a try. It sure is quick and simple to find out.

I have no doubt that Apple Technical Department has a back door setup to access ANY iDevice that's is locked.

Good luck!

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

4. DrHouse

DrHouse
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I did the test myself with a relative new setup of Ubuntu 11.10. As stated, shared folders are locked, but I had access to the DCIM folder and books folder even if the device was locked. This was tested on an Ubuntu 11.10 amd64 with an iPad 1 iOS 5.01. If we have a different results, then something is different with our setups or with the iPad version. Thanks for sharing that info, we are all trying to help the OP.

EDIT: I redid the test but unpaired the iPad first to make sure. You're right, this is a dead end. So probably I must have connected my iPad at least once, I just don't remember when. So the flaw as I reported has been fixed completely which is a good thing. Thanks for clarifying.

VicoPad addict!

#14 DrHouse, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  5. xIkx

xIkx
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'd call apple, they are the only ones who could do it if it is possible at all. I don't think anybody else could do it because it would be a huge security issue.