What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parental control / User profile app - Jailbroken iPad 1st Gen

fuzzychicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello folks,

DS (age 4.5) has a developmental disability. Initially, he used iPad exclusively for the purpose it was bought for but then he explored YouTube and we noticed that he is learning loads from videos too. So we introduced him to the videos. The plan backfired (we expected that) and parental control offered in iPad 1 is not enough for our needs. He also brightens up the screen to full and uses such iPad in the dark (which blinds me). This is part of his disability and the therapists are telling us to discourage such behavior. After picking brains of folks at 2 different Apple stores many times, no such app was available, finally I jailbroke my iPad.

This iPad will be used by him as well as by me for my work purpose. We can not afford to buy one more iPad. Hence, I am looking for an app where I can set user profiles so that he can not mess around with my work and even with his own profile (I will control brightness and will give access to only apps I wish him to use, like apps to help him with the disability and video apps at a times)

I am not too such if such apps are available for jailbroken iPads. I will be glad if I can get some pointers in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome, I've moved your thread to the hacking section, as you are jailbroken, to try to get you the assistance that you need. Good luck!

The Archangel

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can get a tweak from Cydia that will allow you to lock apps (and folders). This way, the only way to open any app is to input a password. Take a look at the tweaks AppLocker or Lockdown Pro. You'll have to decide which one you want to use - they are both paid tweaks (but not expensive). I've used AppLocker and I like it. It also comes with an SBSettings toggle so you can turn the protection on and off (so that when you are using the iPad, you don't have to keep entering a password for every app you open).

Also, take a look at the IncarcerApp tweak. With this one, you can "lock in" the app currently in use. The Home button will not work until you re-do the process you did to "lock" an app. This way, once an app is running - it cannot be shut down without the password. This tweak is free. You will have to install another tweak called Activator with this tweak (I think it'll auto install). This is so that you can set gestures (or button activations) to initiate the locking.

The cool part of the IncarcerApp is that when it's activated, the Home button is locked AND the swipe-up gestures are disabled. So, there can be no access to the brightness controls in the multi-task bar. From trying this myself - there is no way out of the app.

In fact, now that I've typed all this, I think your solution is this IncarcerApp. As long as you don't let your son see what you do to lock the app in - he'll be "stuck" on the app you choose with no way out and no way to change the brightness. The tweak is easily turned on and off.

Hope some of this helps. Holler back if you need more info.

Marilyn

OP
F

fuzzychicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn,

Applocker is a good option. I use it on my android tablet (not too sure if the developer is same) but this entering password every time is very annoying. In the beginning, I was ok with it but as I work and have to switch between different apps, it is not really how I would like to go. Hence, I mentioned in the post if there is as simple as user profile app. I wonder why no one would design such app as many households have single tablet which is used among kids of different ages and parents. If everyone gets their own user profiles, administrator keeps them within their arena and everyone is happy.

IncarcerApp looks great from your description. I have installed it and will give it a go. The button disabling is not that good part because his disability triggers OCD-like behavioral symptoms and he keeps pushing the button like crazy. I always think that some day the button is going to die. So I am going to buy Bubcap for that..

Thanks again for the input.

Most reactions

Latest posts