What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9.7" iPad Pro or 10.5" ?

jooeey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am in a dilemma, ever since I was introduced to the iPad its size 9.7" has appealed so much to me that it has stuck on to me. I am kind of hung on to it. 9.7" is the perfect size not too small, not too large, and large enough to have a full, big screen experience. But with the 10.5" Apple has broken that sweet spot. I am a little too worried that the 10.5" size would be a bit bulky and difficult to handle in terms of compactness and portability.The 10.5" is also slightly heavier in weight when compared to the 9.7" iPad Pro. What do you guys think should I take the plunge for 10.5" ? Or should I buy the 9.7" iPad Pro ?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad Pro 9.7" has been released more than a year ago, while the 10.5" device is new. The difference in size is not really that big, (their depth is exactly the same) and the weight of the current iPad and iPad Pro 10.5" is exactly the same (WiFi only).
To compare their size, see this site from Apple:
iPad - Compare Models
The iPad Pro 9.7" is not listed there, but the iPad right next to the 10.5" iPad Pro has the same height and width.
For more information, see this site:
iPad Pro 10.5-inch vs iPad Pro 9.7-inch: What's the difference?

If you decide to buy an iPad, get the latest technology, imo.

Last edited:
OP
J

jooeey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The difference in size is not really that big, (their depth is exactly the same) and the weight of the current iPad and iPad Pro 10.5" is exactly the same (WiFi only).

I am looking at the Wi-Fi+Cellular Model the weight of the 9.7" iPad Pro is 444 Grams where as the weight of the 10.5" iPad Pro is 477 Grams.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm wondering which iPad you own right now.
Just the weight of WiFi + Cellular, 9.7" display:
iPad 2: 610 g
iPad 3 and 4: 660 g
iPad Air: 478 g
iPad Air 2: 444g

The iPad released earlier this year has 478 g, so about the weight of the new iPad Pro, and it's display has 9.7".

When you come from an iPad Air 2, you might notice a difference, but not too much. The other devices are "heavier" than the new iPad Pro 10.5".

OP
J

jooeey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm wondering which iPad you own right now.
Just the weight of WiFi + Cellular, 9.7" display:
iPad 2: 610 g
iPad 3 and 4: 660 g
iPad Air: 478 g
iPad Air 2: 444g

The iPad released earlier this year has 478 g, so about the weight of the new iPad Pro, and it's display has 9.7".

When you come from an iPad Air 2, you might notice a difference, but not too much. The other devices are "heavier" than the new iPad Pro 10.5".

The weight of the 9.7" iPad Pro Wifi+Cellular model is 444 grams and the 10.5" iPad Pro Wifi+Cellular is 477 grams

Please check this link

iPad Pro - Wikipedia

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The weight of the 9.7" iPad Pro Wifi+Cellular model is 444 grams and the 10.5" iPad Pro Wifi+Cellular is 477 grams

Please check this link

iPad Pro - Wikipedia
No doubt about this.

I just compared the weight of the iPad Pro 10.5" to all other devices with 9.7", except for the iPad Pro. If you currently own one of the devices I've listed (except for the iPad Air 2), the iPad Pro 10.5" will be about the same weight or lighter. Just to give you an impression whether or not you will notice a difference.

OP
J

jooeey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No doubt about this.

I just compared the weight of the iPad Pro 10.5" to all other devices with 9.7", except for the iPad Pro. If you currently own one of the devices I've listed (except for the iPad Air 2), the iPad Pro 10.5" will be about the same weight or lighter. Just to give you an impression whether or not you will notice a difference.

Yeah so you didnt compare the 10.5" iPad Pro to the 9.7" iPad Pro I am comparing these two models not the others.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I didn't explain good enough what I was thinking of.

You're worried about the weight of the new iPad Pro (10.5"). We both know it's slightly heavier than the iPad Pro (9.7"). So to give you an impression how heavy it might be or feel, I've listed the weights of iPads with a 9.7" display.

If you currently own an iPad 2, 3, or 4: you will certainly notice a difference in weight, no matter which one you get.

If you own an iPad Air: it has about the same weight as the iPad Pro with 10.5" display. The iPad Pro with the 9.7" display might feel a bit lighter (the difference is not really that big).

More important than it's weight is the technology that comes with it, imo, and which features you can use. Since the iPad Pro 9.7" has been released last year, it's not capable of everything that the new iPad Pro can do. It's almost certain that you don't notice the difference right now, but with time the 10.5" device will get features that the 9.7" device cannot use because it's hardware wasn't made for some of these things. It's also very likely that the newer device will receive software updates longer. If you think of using the iPad for quite a while, get the latest one.

OP
J

jooeey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are some unofficial bench mark tests which also say that the 10.5" iPad Pro has a 4 GB RAM. So that is a huge advantage over the 9.7" iPad Pro.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed.
Also, the iPad Pro 9.7" has been discontinued by Apple, it seems. It's not available in the online Apple Store any more.

Last edited:

metalcyclone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally I would say, go with the 10.5".

-double the refresh rate
-A10X Fusion
-Slightly larger screen in a similar size footprint
-about the same price even though 1 and a half years newer...
-weight difference is negligible...

I have the 9.7" Pro as well as the 12.9" and I will be upgrading... probably 256 GB ( although maybe 512), Wifi only, definitely Space Gray.

I am a big fan of the small frame design also. Plus some of the new accessories are very appealing for instance: the brown leather slip sleeve or the brown leather Smart Cover! And with the 120Hz refresh rate the Pencil is supposed to improve as well. Plus the keyboard cover for the 10.5 is full sized now. Even if it does weigh a little bit more I think the benefits outweigh that minor inconvenience.

On the other hand, I have nothing but praise for the 9.7" Pro having had it since March, or something like that. So I guess it's a personal decision but my advice would probably be to future proof your purchase as much as possible.

OP
J

jooeey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the other hand, I have nothing but praise for the 9.7" Pro having had it since March, or something like that. So I guess it's a personal decision but my advice would probably be to future proof your purchase as much as possible.

Even if the size and weight of the 10.5" iPad Pro is a little on the higher side ?

metalcyclone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Even if the size and weight of the 10.5" iPad Pro is a little on the higher side ?

Yes. I plan to get some hands on time with the 10.5 in the store before pulling the trigger but I can't imagine that the minor weight and size increase is going to sway me against purchasing it. Maybe you could try the same and test out the difference in-store before making a decision... I will of course report back to this thread my impressions after I test one out in-store, keeping in mind to notice if there is a noticeable increase in weight and size. My local Apple Store is getting display models in early next week...

OP
J

jooeey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. I plan to get some hands on time with the 10.5 in the store before pulling the trigger but I can't imagine that the minor weight and size increase is going to sway me against purchasing it. Maybe you could try the same and test out the difference in-store before making a decision... I will of course report back to this thread my impressions after I test one out in-store, keeping in mind to notice if there is a noticeable increase in weight and size. My local Apple Store is getting display models in early next week...

Do report back your observation about the 10.5" iPad Pro size & weight.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

33 grams? .073 lbs? (from the 477 vs 444 grams you mentioned earlier)

That's less than a tenth of a pound. I'm not sure I could feel the difference even if I compared them side by side. I'm thinking it's too little to make a difference in how you use them. The choice of case (if you use one) is probably going to have a bigger impact.

If it were money it would b $0.98 vs $1.05, only $0.07 for bigger, better screen and way faster hardware and almost identical physical dimensions.

There are plenty of reasons to choose the 9.7 inch iPads over the new 10.5 inch Pro; but the weight doesn't strike me as significant. Of coures, I'm using a 12.9 inch iPad, so I'm obviously somewhat biased in the screen size vs weight argument.

Most reactions

Latest posts