9.7" iPad Pro or 10.5" ?

Discussion in 'iPad Pro Forum' started by jooeey, Jun 8, 2017.

1. metalcyclone

metalcyclone
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Personally I would say, go with the 10.5".

-double the refresh rate
    -A10X Fusion
    -Slightly larger screen in a similar size footprint
    -about the same price even though 1 and a half years newer...
    -weight difference is negligible...

I have the 9.7" Pro as well as the 12.9" and I will be upgrading... probably 256 GB ( although maybe 512), Wifi only, definitely Space Gray.

I am a big fan of the small frame design also. Plus some of the new accessories are very appealing for instance: the brown leather slip sleeve or the brown leather Smart Cover! And with the 120Hz refresh rate the Pencil is supposed to improve as well. Plus the keyboard cover for the 10.5 is full sized now. Even if it does weigh a little bit more I think the benefits outweigh that minor inconvenience.

On the other hand, I have nothing but praise for the 9.7" Pro having had it since March, or something like that. So I guess it's a personal decision but my advice would probably be to future proof your purchase as much as possible.

2. jooeey

jooeey
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Even if the size and weight of the 10.5" iPad Pro is a little on the higher side ?

3. metalcyclone

metalcyclone
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yes. I plan to get some hands on time with the 10.5 in the store before pulling the trigger but I can't imagine that the minor weight and size increase is going to sway me against purchasing it. Maybe you could try the same and test out the difference in-store before making a decision... I will of course report back to this thread my impressions after I test one out in-store, keeping in mind to notice if there is a noticeable increase in weight and size. My local Apple Store is getting display models in early next week...

4. jooeey

jooeey
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Do report back your observation about the 10.5" iPad Pro size & weight.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    33 grams? .073 lbs? (from the 477 vs 444 grams you mentioned earlier)

That's less than a tenth of a pound. I'm not sure I could feel the difference even if I compared them side by side. I'm thinking it's too little to make a difference in how you use them. The choice of case (if you use one) is probably going to have a bigger impact.

If it were money it would b $0.98 vs $1.05, only $0.07 for bigger, better screen and way faster hardware and almost identical physical dimensions.

There are plenty of reasons to choose the 9.7 inch iPads over the new 10.5 inch Pro; but the weight doesn't strike me as significant. Of coures, I'm using a 12.9 inch iPad, so I'm obviously somewhat biased in the screen size vs weight argument.

6. metalcyclone

metalcyclone
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well I reserved one at BB to be picked up today (hopefully)... Will report back when I get it...

7. metalcyclone

metalcyclone
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Got mine!! 10.5" Space Gray/256GB/WIFI... :) will update with first impressions shortly...

8. metalcyclone

metalcyclone
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well I promised to give my impressions paying close attention to the size and weight of the 10.5 vs 9.7 pro. The verdict is in... On first impressions, I can't tell much of a difference between the two as far as weight goes... The 10.5 feels bigger though (which it is). The screen feels significantly larger than the 9.7" in a good way. That extra bezel space on the 9.7" seems unnecessary and I'd much rather have more screen and less bezel in similar sized package. So, first impressions are pretty positive. Hope that helps...

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the update.

10. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Glad to hear this now how does the reset of it compare?
    responsiveness
    pencil
    speed