What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 questions before buying the iPad

last_ride

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found a good deal on eBay for buying the Ipad2

Here are few questions before I order it tomorrow based on your answers

1) Can any app play AVI format video files because almost all movies I have in my PC is AVI format. Also, how is the audio-video sync on the Ipad.

2) I was impressed with the games my friend had on his Ipod touch. Will I be able to play all those games on the Ipad2 .

3) The first thing I would be doing with my iPad is JAILBREAK. All sites I visited to know about IPad jailbreak had a warning 'I could Brick my iPad' . Have u ever heard/know anyone's Ipad being bricked. Wat is the % that I might brick my Ipad(assuming I do it exactly as recommended) ?

4) Does bricking mean my Ipad is dead...Will I not be able to install back the apple firmware back!

5) Will browsing experience on Ipad be similar/better than browsing in PC. for example: will the Google Homepage 'google dot com' fit the Ipad screen or will have to scoll vertically and horizontally to view the full page

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
1) yup, loads of cheap apps that play avi files. Audio video sync isn't an iPad issue, it's an issue involved in the coding of the stream originally.

2) Aye, all iPod touch games can be purchased and played on the iPad. But iPad has it's own versions in a lot of cases specially designed for it, these are called HD versions. The iPad plays both.

3 & 4) I don't personally jailbreak, so not too qualified to answer.. But I don't think 'bricking' is a common feature, and whatever, restoring, bricked or not, is easy.

5) Internet browsing on the ad screen is a beautiful thing. Super fast and lovely to view. Don't have any worries on that side :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To add to the excellent post above......you won't "brick" your iPad by Jailbreaking, in fact you can't because you can always restore your iPad to stock. There are tens of millions of iPads in the wild and many jailbroken ones and I've never come across a genuine case of a bricked one.

The Archangel

OP
L

last_ride

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks you both,
So my jail-braking and video playing thing is cleared now...

Now, to the app question.. good to know that it plays all the iPhone games :)
but is it odd/ difficult to hold the big screen of ipad and play games.. are games comfortable to be played on the the ipad
From your point of view, is browsing experience better on a PC or the iPad.. Would u recommend an ipad for browsing?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Playing games or using apps on the tablet like the iPad is great. It's a different experience, but one you'll soon embrace I'm sure. I do a lot of my aping with my iPad on the desk flat, or on my lap on the couch. You don't even think about it. Its a natural thing.

The only difference about browsing on the pc compared to the iPad is screen size and lack of Flash on the iPad. But speed (wireless speed) is the same. Again, Internet browsing soon becomes second nature and USA dream to use.

As for browser apps, the standard Safari does it all for me. I used to use Atomic, but Safari is fine in most cases.

Most reactions

Latest posts