What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.0.1 and a tethered jb

nickcuban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If we are tethered (and don't mind staying tethered) can we update and not lose the jb/tweaks? I am on an iPad 1 3G with the tethered jb on ios5...

OP
N

nickcuban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do I need to restore the ipad to remove the JB before I update?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't upgrade a jailbroken device. So you MUST use the restore feature, therefore you should restore 5.0.1.
By design, that means you jailbreak will be wiped from the device. Once you have restored 5.0.1, then you can re-jailbreak it using redsn0w.

If you have a good working JB configuration on 5.0 which you want to preserve then you should probably invest in an app like PkgBackup which will allow you to backup your JB apps and settings, then restore them once you update the OS and re-jailbreak. I've used it for a long time now and it is invaluable...

OP
N

nickcuban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the advice. Looks like when I get home from work I will be hooking up to itunes and syncing then hitting the restore button and going to .1.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
You can't upgrade a jailbroken device. So you MUST use the restore feature, therefore you should restore 5.0.1.
By design, that means you jailbreak will be wiped from the device. Once you have restored 5.0.1, then you can re-jailbreak it using redsn0w.

If you have a good working JB configuration on 5.0 which you want to preserve then you should probably invest in an app like PkgBackup which will allow you to backup your JB apps and settings, then restore them once you update the OS and re-jailbreak. I've used it for a long time now and it is invaluable...

So does this mean us JBkers can't take advantage of the OTA updates? We must restore on iTunes and install it that way?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So does this mean us JBkers can't take advantage of the OTA updates? We must restore on iTunes and install it that way?

Correct. This has been widely reported since the first OTA updated was released in b4. You cannot do them on a jailbroken device. Just like you cannot "update" a jailbroken device through iTunes... You must restore.

Ballaith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nickcuban said:
Do I need to restore the ipad to remove the JB before I update?

Please do not update your iPad if you need the JB otherwise you will lose your soft wear.

OP
N

nickcuban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So we can just go to itunes and hit restore... nothing to do through redsn0w?

Ballaith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nickcuban said:

Even if you downgrade your iPad to the old version you will not be able to JB. My advice keep the existing JB and make good use of it.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

You need to use redsn0w AFTER the restore has finished to re-jailbreak it obviously (as graywolf pointed out originally). After a restore the iPad will be on 5.0.1 like factory new. Make sure you UNDERSTAND what you are doing before you go about this... You are making me very nervous!

OP
N

nickcuban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to use redsn0w AFTER the restore has finished to re-jailbreak it obviously. After a restore the iPad will be on 5.0.1 like factory new. Make sure you UNDERSTAND what you are doing before you go about this... You are making me very nervous!

It make me nervous, hence all the questions. Here is my plan of action:

1) sync with itunes to back up apps
2) hit restore using itunes to clean the ipad and have it update to 5.0.1
3) sync to reinstall apps (not cydia of course)
4) re jb with redsn0w and begin putting tweaks back on ipad

Am I missing any steps there? My biggest concern is bricking the ipad, if I can't re JB its not the end of the world and I can redownload my apps... I just want to make sure I am not going to brick it.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even if you downgrade your iPad to the old version you will not be able to JB. My advice keep the existing JB and make good use of it.

If you downgrade you can jailbreak. I don't know where you are getting your info from.
And also, you can only downgrade if you have your shsh blobs saved for the version you are trying to go to. And there are other complications with 3G models and their basebands being updated ( iPad 2 only I think).

Please don't post information unless it is accurate and helps the OP.

Such as your post earlier, "you will lose your soft wear", if he upgrades, it will act just like a normal iPad. He will not lose his software. He will just lose the jailbreak, and all he has to do is just re-jailbreak.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It make me nervous, hence all the questions. Here is my plan of action:

1) sync with itunes to back up apps
2) hit restore using itunes to clean the ipad and have it update to 5.0.1
3) sync to reinstall apps (not cydia of course)
4) re jb with redsn0w and begin putting tweaks back on ipad

Am I missing any steps there? My biggest concern is bricking the ipad, if I can't re JB its not the end of the world and I can redownload my apps... I just want to make sure I am not going to brick it.

Sync with iTunes
Put iPad into DFU mode: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html
iTunes will want you to update to latest version, so upgrade.
Run redsnow to jailbreak.
Boot tethered.

Most reactions