What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G WIFI Data which comes first

CFLip2x

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has al ready been brought up. If I have both wifi And 3G on which will the Ipad chose as it's main data stream.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm doubting the second part is true for iPads. I certainly get push notification on my Wifi only when it is sleeping. When I had my 3G iPad 1, it got push notifications when sleeping, even if the 3G was turned off.

I'm not certain about how iPhones work, but since they have to have the 3G on all the time and have a smaller battery, it would make sense to shut down the WiFi under certain conditions. It does not make as much sense to do this with the iPad. You are better off shutting down the 3G, which tends to uses more battery than the WiFi radio, especially if your signal is weak.

Last edited:

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm doubting the second part is true for iPads. I certainly get push notification on my Wifi only when it is sleeping. When I had my 3G iPad 1, it got push notifications when sleeping, even if the 3G was turned off.

Here is the last entry from my 3G usage from vodafone

Data/GPRS
spacer.gif
26 Apr
spacer.gif
14:28
spacer.gif
Data/GPRS
spacer.gif
Peak
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
$0.00
spacer.gif

There are lots of small entries like this and my ipad has been at home and connected to my wifi for the last five days (very long weeked in Australia). The only large entry was from the day I installed my MicoSIM and tested 3G with WiFI turned off. So it does seem to be true for me (Ipad 2 3G 32G).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The data seems to support you, but being a stubborn sort of person I'll probably muck about looking for collaborating evidence before I admit the error of my ways. ;)

Buzzfriend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks...the Telecom NZ usage meter has changed ( for the better) and shows every item of data usage. I couldn't understand why it was showing data usage when I knew I was in a wifi zone. So...recommendations for saving 3 G? Turn it off while in wifi? I think that is annoying. Or turn off push notifications? What are e implications of that?

Most reactions

Latest posts