1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net
  1. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    So in a moment of madness late last year I bought myself a 3D TV but apart from a very few films I haven't actually found much that's worth watching in 3D. Surely that can't be right! If any of you know of any, at least half decent, 3D movies worth buying or renting please let me know......or else my TV may forget that it has the ability to play 3D movies.

The Archangel
  2. mikeos

mikeos iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'd say Avatar is a must!
  3. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    I'd love to see that as I missed it at the cinema but can't find it on blu ray.

Most of the 3D movies I have seen are rubbish but a few gems amongst them......TT3D, A Christmas Carol and one that I can't remember!

The Archangel
  4. AnonymousNoOne

AnonymousNoOne iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Look at www.bestbuy.com, 3D movies. See what you like. The Last Harry Potter was ok maybe cool in 3D.?
    Also have seen the Nintendo 3DS their cool no 3D glass need.  
  5. tazz3

tazz3 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Avatar is the best 3d moive. i picked up a panasonic plamsa 3d tv last year the st30 its a nice tv,
  6. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    I went for a Toshiba passive LCD/LED 3D set as I didn't like the cost of the glasses in the active version......I tried both the passive and active in the shop and couldn't tell the difference. It is a great TV but so many 3D films are just plain rubbish......hopefully that will change soon. I also have a Panasonic 3D blu ray player which can make non 3D films become 3D and surprisingly it does quite a good job.

When is avatar going to be released on a 3D blu ray......everyone raves about it yet I can't seem to get it over here in the UK?

The Archangel
  7. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    Well in my search for decent 3D movies I watched the latest version of The Three Musketeers last night and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The film is a light hearted romp but a good light hearted romp and the 3D was there but neither overpowering or too little. There is a scene in a vault with lots of bullets/missiles flying around and this is excellent as well as the sword fighting (I am concerned that 3D may only really work in sword fighting films).

Still, my list of, well, just good and no more 3D films is countable on one hand.......somebody needs to pick the pace up if 3D is to really take off.

So my quest moves on (maybe I'll try Hugo next) but all is not lost for my 3D TV just yet.

The Archangel
  8. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    I watched Hugo, this has to be the best 3D film I have seen yet......not reliant on gimmicks like many other films, such as swords swooshing at the camera, everything seemed to be there for the purpose of the story. More films like this will convince me that 3D is alive and well.

The Archangel
  9. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +998 / 0
    Hugo!
    That movie looks great-haven't watched it yet, but it's certainly on my list! I bet your 3-d tv was wonderful for viewing!
  10. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    It is a lovely film, done with a French style but with a bit of comedy, which was really well done, Scorsese has surpassed himself!

The Archangel
  11. skimonkey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +998 / 0
    They cleaned up at the Oscars for all the design work, etc.

My mom saw it and thought it was fabulous! I can't wait to see it, but will have to see it plain when it comes out on DVD! I'll have to throw things (popcorn or something) at my husband to get the 3d effect! :)
  12. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    You can throw the popcorn for the snowy scenes! I think you will enjoy it in 2D, it's just a great film. I love French films and this reminds of one called A Very Long Engagement in style if not story.

The Archangel
  13. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    depending on the tv you should be able to watch 2d movies in 3D.
  14. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    My blu ray player converts 2D to 3D but it's obviously not as the director intended......so it's never going to be the best representation. I must read up on how that works as determining what is in the foreground and background on the fly from a flat image must be some process. I did try it on one film, can't remember which, and it wasn't bad. I may try it on Band Of Brothers, that would just be too good if it works well on that!

The Archangel
  15. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    Interesting info from the BBC, here in the UK they will be showing the two main Wimbledon finals, Olympic opening & closing ceremonies, men's 100m final and potentially the nightly highlights show all in 3D across all HD platforms......so it'll be a good test for sport in 3D on TV for those in the UK without subscription channels. I for one can't wait to see how good or bad it is, I'd better clean off those glasses and get the snacks in!

The Archangel
  16. skimonkey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +998 / 0
    I think I would get dizzy watching all of that in 3-d...you will have to let is know how it looks.
  17. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    That is my biggest worry but I'm intrigued so I'll be watching to see what it's like......I can see one of two outcomes, either it'll be great or the glasses will be coming off after five minutes.

The Archangel
  18. skimonkey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +998 / 0
    Oh I forgot about those glasses...
  19. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    Unfortunately, 3D comes and goes. This is undeniable; a simple historical fact in the annals of 3D history.

The latest crop of 3D movies are not that good. I can usually pick 'em to pieces from a purely technical POV. Avatar is OK, I suppose; it's no House of Wax, however.

Most of you can only judge is what is available now. Chances are, few here have never seen a properly photographed 3D movie, properly projected through a good system like a polarized system and photographed with a great 3D camera system. The best "modern" system is IMAX, but there are/were many other camera systems over the years.

I am glad to see some 3D activity, but I fear when the wave is over, 3D will once again die off and we will wait for something else to arrive to revive stereo movies. D TVs will end up in garages and on Craigs List for ten bucks. We KNOW how to make great 3D movies and we know how to project them properly. We have known this for many decades. It is ancient technology that does not require reinvention. Just like the absolute finest color process ever invented is Technicolor and no digital system can touch it. Neither can any modern color process, clearly.

OT: The technicolor process required a HUGE camera that shot three strips of film simultaneously. The black and white negatives were processed and each negative was contact printed to individual strips of Matrix film. The matrices were dyed and transferred in perfect register to yet another strip of film. You needed 6-8 strips of film to make one color release print.

Anyway, I digress.

Some will say that people hate to wear 3D glasses so they patiently wait for something new; holography is often mentioned and that is a pipe dream for now. Fact is, if the projectionist knows his beans and the glasses are well made--even cheap cardboard glasses are fine--a great 3D film is a wondrous sight indeed.

Bob knows his 3D!
  20. Gabriel1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    Thanks Bob, interesting stuff. As for my POV, the 3D on my TV is purely secondary, the normal HD picture is the primary function so no danger at present of it ending up in a garage sale.

I will agree that there is not a lot of good 3D content at present however there are some gems, TT3D and Hugo IMHO being two such. I haven't seen Avatar in 3D yet and can't understand why there is no 3D release of this on Blu Ray in the UK.....I wonder if this is available in other countries?

As to the sports and my experiment with watching Wimbledon, well it was a mixed bag. The men's semifinals didn't look so good but the women's final was way better. My personal theory here is that the speed of the men's game is too much for the conversion to cope with well, all I know is the women's final was good......the biggest problem for me (and the reason that I didn't watch the men's final in 3D) was that they had a different commentary team as compared to the HD broadcast, a lot of the enjoyment for me is listening to the likes of McEnroe and Becker so to find that a second string team were commenting on the 3D was just disappointing although in hindsight, understandable.

My biggest concern now is the speed issue, if the reason that the 3D didn't come over as well in the men's game is due to the speed then the BBC's choice to only show one Olympic event in 3D seems mighty strange.......since its the men's 100m final!!

The Archangel