32gb ipad 4? is it possible to add micro cards for extra storage?

Discussion in 'iPad 4 Forum' started by norskipad, Dec 25, 2012.

1. norskipad

norskipad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :ipad-keyboard:
    Hello & Merry Christmas!

I am just about to buy an Ipad4 but just wished to check what kind of extra storage can I add if I purchased the 32GB model?I have not being able to work out what is the maximum size & type of cards can be added?

If someone could give me a very quick reply I would be very obliged as I have to buy the IPAD before 31st December

many thanks Steve
    :)
  2. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,646 / 1
    Sorry, it's not possible to add memory cards for additional storage capacity. A solution for some has been network attached storage.http://www.ipadforums.net/network-attached-storage-nas/74006-personal-cloud-storage.html you may want to check this thread out and see if it meets your needs.
  3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    If you are worried, get the 64 GB model if you can afford it.

Also, I use an air stash + with mine for storing movies, photos, and other files. There are lots of cloud options available now for music, so you can lessen your file load.
  4. norskipad

norskipad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Scifan 57 & AQ_OC really obliged to you.
    I thought I had just seen a connector that can be added to the Ipad4 to offer sdhc cards e.t.c. was this an earlier ipad?

Regards Steve
  5. scifan57

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,646 / 1
    You're thinking of the camera connection kit. This would allow you to insert the camera's SD card in order to import the photos to the iPad. It was not a way to add extra storage to the iPad.
  6. norskipad

norskipad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. scifan57

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,646 / 1
  8. runningbear29

runningbear29 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Getting the 64gb iPad is good advice. It might seem like more cost up front, but the iPad will never lose it's extra value if sold or traded later, and you will have the extra space if needed.
  9. norskipad

norskipad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Guys
    I see what your saying must invest in the 64GB model i think
    Many thanks for trying to help,much appreciated

all the best Steve:)
  10. buerkletucson

buerkletucson iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Good choice...
    If you are even contemplating it you should get the bigger model.

Many wish hey had a larger model like 128GB.
  11. StillYas

StillYas iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No cant do amigo.
  12. norskipad

norskipad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good Day buerkletucson
    Very nice to hear from you,Yep it would have being a help if they had offered at least a card slot?or as you say a 128GB

regards Steve
    :(
  13. norskipad

norskipad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Hi Again Guys,

Have just been checking out AIR STASH and to me at least, it looks a possible option.
    If I understood the Spec correctly the device takes my sdhc * other cards e.t.c. then streams to the ipad am I correct?Also I have files a lot bigger than 4GB* it says files maximum 4gb?

interested in feedback

Regards Steve
  14. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Yes, you can stream movies and music, and save read other types of files. As I recall, it needs a fat32 format and fat32 limits file sizes to 4gb. Actually, I need to check on if it really needs fat32 or not. I know it doesn't like exfat. Memory fades after a while. And I could have sworn I had saved an 8gb file to one of my sd cards. When I travel, I carry this and a little holder for 4 sd cards. I have one 128 GB card and three other 32 GB cards. It can stream for hours on all of my devices, including laptops. And I can either plug the device into a USB port or take the card out and plug it into and sd slot to get files on or off. It is super light and can be charged on a standard charger with a USB port. It is an extremely flexible device, IMO.
  15. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Now, some details are coming back to me.....

Yes, the air stash can only deal with 4gb files because it requires fat32. So you can only stream files smaller than this limit.

But you can insert other types of cards into the reader and insert that into a USB port on a computer. So, in this fashion, the device is a standard thumb drive. But if you try to stream from the device with that card inside, it won't work. You will get a funny flash when you turn it on and then the device will turn itself off. This can let you use the air stash as a typical sd card reader with other formats on it, but not as a streamer. But if you pop in a card with a fat32 format then the streaming potion comes alive.

This is a bit of complexity that is hard to tout as a feature because many wont understand it, but I find this very useful and am glad they included it.
  16. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Apple doesn't do slots as they add complexity and complexity is the enemy of a highly optimized and buttery smooth OS. Frankly, I think apple has gotten this part right; all of my android tablets suffer as a result of trying to support these complex feature sets.
  17. norskipad

norskipad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :)
    AQ_OC That is very positive news I am so pleased.So as it stands I can still opt for the 64GB model and AIR Stream and I am set to go?It needs to be as simple as possible,due to my worsening health which is affecting my limited abilities to follow instruction due to a terrible confusion,I do not write this to solicit sympathy ,only to let folk know that I do have limited abilities,which I must take into account.

So my final questions relating to the Air-Stream I will only be using the IPAD (No phone,No laptop) Just the IPAD4 does this alter anything?

Whilst I am at home or in care? i can recharge via mains USB charger? (is this correct)

I can Save Music/Docs/Photo`s e.t.c. from IPAD4 to the Cards on the AIR STREAM?

Can I just use SDHC cards or is it possible to use the MICRO SDHC cards?(I like the micro cards)

Do I still require the Apple Camera Kit?

If there is anything else you feel maybe of use to me(improving,helping,useful) ADD-ON`s e.t.c. please let me know..I am looking at a lean,mean fighting machine with not to complex application.

I have read the superb thread by Gabriel RE ClOUD FTP e.t.c. but no matter how hard I tried toi understand it`s benefits and usage I could not,but I saw how excited some members were by the use of this method.

Once Again many Thanks

Best Wishes Steve

18. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Hi Steve,

What I have found is that some SD cards come pre-formatted with exfat, and air stash does not like that. So you need a computer to reformat the card. So this is something you will need to watch out for and have a means to deal with.

No problems with iPad 4, it is an iPad, and works like all of the iPads (which is a joy because on android every tablet has a different set of features from one to the next).

Yes, any charge that has a USB port and is powered can charge it. So you can put this in a charger in your car to keep it charged, while others can stream movies or shows from it.

Yes, you can use micro-sd cards if you have the adapter. The air stash+ is designed to hold SD cards. Several of my cards are micro-SD cards but they all come with adapters that I put them in.

I have a camera connection kit but I never use the thing. I don't see why you would need both.

Yes, you can save photos, docs, and other stuff to the air stash. Apps like GoodReader, pages, keynote, etc, can read and write files to/from the air stash.

So, this remaining issue is the format of the card when you buy it. I got a new one not long ago and it had this exfat format. I had to reformat it, so this could be a problem for you. I'm not sure at the moment why it came formatted like this...this was a 64gb card, so that may be the reason. So you have no other means to format the SDCard? I think we need to look into this a little more before you spend your money. I will see what I can find out about this...and maybe someone else can jump in with an answer for this.
  19. norskipad

norskipad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello
    Really do thank you very much indeed,for your help and patience.
    I am using my Dell at present not sure how long this laptop will keep going before it gives out on me..but ok at moment.So if I can find a way to re-format some CARDS that would be great also I can ask others to help?

look forward to hearing from you,all the other answers make me very happy...

all the best Steve:D
  20. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Hi Steve,

My laptops never give out on me....I usually move on well before they quit working. I guess if you drop it or somehow damage it then you
    have an issue. Otherwise, it is not a problem.

I think it is challenging to get along only with an iPad. I'm not sure apple has designed them to function in isolation. You might want
    to finds ways to keep a traditional laptop in your environment just for those times.

Im