What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

32gb ipad 4? is it possible to add micro cards for extra storage?

norskipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:ipad-keyboard:
Hello & Merry Christmas!

I am just about to buy an Ipad4 but just wished to check what kind of extra storage can I add if I purchased the 32GB model?I have not being able to work out what is the maximum size & type of cards can be added?

If someone could give me a very quick reply I would be very obliged as I have to buy the IPAD before 31st December

many thanks Steve
:)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
norskipad said:
:ipad-keyboard:
Hello & Merry Christmas!

I am just about to buy an Ipad4 but just wished to check what kind of extra storage can I add if I purchased the 32GB model?I have not being able to work out what is the maximum size & type of cards can be added?

If someone could give me a very quick reply I would be very obliged as I have to buy the IPAD before 31st December

many thanks Steve:)

Sorry, it's not possible to add memory cards for additional storage capacity. A solution for some has been network attached storage.http://www.ipadforums.net/network-attached-storage-nas/74006-personal-cloud-storage.html you may want to check this thread out and see if it meets your needs.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are worried, get the 64 GB model if you can afford it.

Also, I use an air stash + with mine for storing movies, photos, and other files. There are lots of cloud options available now for music, so you can lessen your file load.

OP
N

norskipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Scifan 57 & AQ_OC really obliged to you.
I thought I had just seen a connector that can be added to the Ipad4 to offer sdhc cards e.t.c. was this an earlier ipad?

Regards Steve

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
norskipad said:
Hi Scifan 57 & AQ_OC really obliged to you.
I thought I had just seen a connector that can be added to the Ipad4 to offer sdhc cards e.t.c. was this an earlier ipad?

Regards Steve

You're thinking of the camera connection kit. This would allow you to insert the camera's SD card in order to import the photos to the iPad. It was not a way to add extra storage to the iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting the 64gb iPad is good advice. It might seem like more cost up front, but the iPad will never lose it's extra value if sold or traded later, and you will have the extra space if needed.

OP
N

norskipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I see what your saying must invest in the 64GB model i think
Many thanks for trying to help,much appreciated

all the best Steve:)

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I see what your saying must invest in the 64GB model i think
Many thanks for trying to help,much appreciated

all the best Steve:)

Good choice...
If you are even contemplating it you should get the bigger model.

Many wish hey had a larger model like 128GB.

OP
N

norskipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi Again Guys,

Have just been checking out AIR STASH and to me at least, it looks a possible option.
If I understood the Spec correctly the device takes my sdhc * other cards e.t.c. then streams to the ipad am I correct?Also I have files a lot bigger than 4GB* it says files maximum 4gb?

interested in feedback

Regards Steve

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Hi Again Guys,

Have just been checking out AIR STASH and to me at least, it looks a possible option.
If I understood the Spec correctly the device takes my sdhc * other cards e.t.c. then streams to the ipad am I correct?Also I have files a lot bigger than 4GB* it says files maximum 4gb?

interested in feedback

Regards Steve

Yes, you can stream movies and music, and save read other types of files. As I recall, it needs a fat32 format and fat32 limits file sizes to 4gb. Actually, I need to check on if it really needs fat32 or not. I know it doesn't like exfat. Memory fades after a while. And I could have sworn I had saved an 8gb file to one of my sd cards. When I travel, I carry this and a little holder for 4 sd cards. I have one 128 GB card and three other 32 GB cards. It can stream for hours on all of my devices, including laptops. And I can either plug the device into a USB port or take the card out and plug it into and sd slot to get files on or off. It is super light and can be charged on a standard charger with a USB port. It is an extremely flexible device, IMO.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now, some details are coming back to me.....

Yes, the air stash can only deal with 4gb files because it requires fat32. So you can only stream files smaller than this limit.

But you can insert other types of cards into the reader and insert that into a USB port on a computer. So, in this fashion, the device is a standard thumb drive. But if you try to stream from the device with that card inside, it won't work. You will get a funny flash when you turn it on and then the device will turn itself off. This can let you use the air stash as a typical sd card reader with other formats on it, but not as a streamer. But if you pop in a card with a fat32 format then the streaming potion comes alive.

This is a bit of complexity that is hard to tout as a feature because many wont understand it, but I find this very useful and am glad they included it.

Most reactions

Latest posts