What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

141 arrested in stolen iPhone, iPad sting in New York

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, that was interesting. Let's hope they continue to do so. I'm not sure how you can avoid using your iPhone without showing everyone what it is though. Luckily most smartphones are $400 upwards so I'm sure iPhones aren't the only ones stolen. Mind you, according to MacDailyNews, they are the only ones targeted. Hee Hee.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iDevices are taken more because they resell better, according to news reports I've read. There was one recent one about armed robbers who refused to take someone's BlackBerry. The victim said she was a bit offended that her phone had been rejected, lol.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is the exact story I read. I couldn't help laughing. I didn't buy my iPhone because it was the most expensive one but it was soooo easy to use and it linked up nicely to iTunes where I had all my music, films, tv and ebooks. I had an iPod but soon realised an iPhone was the way to go. However my iPad soon outclassed everything as my eyesight wasn't perfect anymore. I still use the iPhone to read but only if I haven't got the paddy with me which is rare.

Sent from my fantastically, wonderful iPhone using iPF

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't buy my iPhone because it was the most expensive one but it was soooo easy to use and it linked up nicely to iTunes where I had all my music, films, tv and ebooks.

I'm with you on function. I think we need some kind of case that makes an iPhone look like a piece of crap phone that no one else would ever want. iPhone camouflage.

My husband and I were saying that it'd be great to have a custom-built car that looked like a POS outside but had top-notch innards, so it would be a great ride, but not look theft-worthy.

When I buy houses, I look for a respectable appearance, but no real curb appeal. I'd rather not be the burglary beacon.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Yes, that was interesting. Let's hope they continue to do so. I'm not sure how you can avoid using your iPhone without showing everyone what it is though. Luckily most smartphones are $400 upwards so I'm sure iPhones aren't the only ones stolen. Mind you, according to MacDailyNews, they are the only ones targeted. Hee Hee.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay said:
I'm with you on function. I think we need some kind of case that makes an iPhone look like a piece of crap phone that no one else would ever want. iPhone camouflage.

My husband and I were saying that it'd be great to have a custom-built car that looked like a POS outside but had top-notch innards, so it would be a great ride, but not look theft-worthy.

When I buy houses, I look for a respectable appearance, but no real curb appeal. I'd rather not be the burglary beacon.

Here you go.......

The Archangel

Attachments

• image-3489337592.png
    image-3489337592.png
    184 KB · Views: 1,424

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you know I was thinking the exact same thing as you two. Isn't there also a car cassette one as well? Great idea.
My house is on a busy road and it would be difficult for anyone to steal from our house without all the neighbours and passing cars not to notice anything. However, I never say never so crossing fingers and thumbs. Not yet anyway.

Sent from my fantastically, wonderful iPhone using iPF

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel, good visual gag. As far as I can tell, an iPhone case like that would be a pain to use, because you'd need to take it out every time you use it.

Hayles, I've seen the case that looks like a cassette, but it draws attention rather than camouflages. It's also some kind of floppy rubber, so doesn't offer much protection. The ones I've seen also lack a charging cord cutout. They're retro cute, though.

I actually ordered a case online that's good camouflage, but impractical, as it turns out. It looks convincingly like a POS camera -- the plastic kind you might give to a kid or have as a wedding party tabletop camera. It's black and unlikely to attract attention. The thing that makes it annoyingly impractical: The case edge is too thick over the on/off button for the phone, so it's a pain to actually turn on and off. Bummer.

Most reactions

Latest posts