What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 Volt Charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there exists a 12 Volt charger for my iPad?

I am an rv'er and would like to be able to recharge from my rv's batteries when I am off the grid.

Thanks.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just buy a converter from Radio Shack and plug your iPads charger into it. Unless your RV already has house hold plugs in it.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah----but what kind of device? What is the voltage required by the iPad? I think it needs to charge at about 2 amps.

Since the output of the power source must be a usb receptacle, just any old supply won't work.

Or do they sell iPhone supplies that will work for the iPad? Remember that I need 12V for the input---for when I am off the grid. (I don't want to use an inverter, if that is what you had in mind.)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah----but what kind of device? What is the voltage required by the iPad? I think it needs to charge at about 2 amps.

Since the output of the power source must be a usb receptacle, just any old supply won't work.

Or do they sell iPhone supplies that will work for the iPad? Remember that I need 12V for the input---for when I am off the grid. (I don't want to use an inverter, if that is what you had in mind.)

My local Apple store has several 12 V power supplies that are specifically made for the iPad and will plug into an RV's 12 V power outlet. Here is one (and links to others). I googled 'iPad 12 V charger' and found Amazon have several too.

Incase Car Charger for iPod, iPhone and iPad - Apple Store (U.S.)

Tim
Scotland

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the Griffin charger for iPad. It plugs in the lighter socket and comes with it's own USB cable. The only annoyance is that it's so tiny that there is no space to grab it when you want to pull it out. I also use it to recharge an iPod Shuffle that's velcroed to the dash. It's a reliable device so far, that didn't break the bank.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score

My local Apple store has several 12 V power supplies that are specifically made for the iPad and will plug into an RV's 12 V power outlet. Here is one (and links to others). I googled 'iPad 12 V charger' and found Amazon have several too.

Incase Car Charger for iPod, iPhone and iPad - Apple Store (U.S.)

Tim
Scotland

Tim,

Thanks so much. I tried googling and had even gone to the Apple Store without success. Guess the search skills of an old codger just aren't up to snuff.

And I appreciate the suggestions from others as well.

Petercar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
does apple even have a car charger? i bought one from walmart a schose and it dosnt last long but theres one from griifin that when yu plug it in to the lighter socket it shows not charging on the ipad the best bet i have is getting a power inverter and plug the charger that came with the ipad

AlanAC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
does apple even have a car charger? i bought one from walmart a schose and it dosnt last long but theres one from griifin that when yu plug it in to the lighter socket it shows not charging on the ipad the best bet i have is getting a power inverter and plug the charger that came with the ipad
I think you mean Scosche. When you say it doesn't last long, do you mean the charge does not last long, or the charger fails early?

Scosche now offer 12 volt (input voltage) chargers with 12 watts available, rather than the usual 10 watts. This is 2.4 Amps, rather than 2.1 Amps.
These new Apple devices have large batteries, that take longer to charge, unless you have more current (Amps) available. I think the high power charger will allow you to charge the battery and use the device at the same time. As I want to use the iPad on a boat for navigation, I need to run the iPad virtually permanently, off 12 volt ship supply.

Alan

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think you mean Scosche. When you say it doesn't last long, do you mean the charge does not last long, or the charger fails early?........

Hi Alan - I hope that you realize that the penultimate post to this thread was 3 1/2 years ago! ;)

If you have some 'new' information on using 12 V converters for charging an iPad, then please start a new thread - Dave :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good idea Dave. I just bought a new inverter to replace my first one that recently died. I intends doing a write up so I'll get on with that later.

I'll also close this thread since it's very old and out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts