1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

charging with a 24 volt cigarette lighter

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by flying_mel, Jul 7, 2011.

1. flying_mel

flying_mel iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am considering using the apple supplied automobile cigarette lighter adaptor in my airplane to charge my iPad, but am concerned that I may do damage to the iPad as my plane uses a 24 volt system. I could buy an adapter to convert the cigarette lighter to 12 volts if necessary.

Any advice or experience with this problem?
  2. Teacher's Pet

Teacher's Pet iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    There are a lot of converters available, I actually have used a few that I got from people locally. One thing you have to be careful of is companies advertise online 12/24 volt adapter cigarette lighter plugs, but its misleading as it will say in fine print "12/24 volts, output depends on input volts"

Removable 24 volt to 12 volt DC/DC converters (regulated) from 100 to 150 Watts non-isolated for 24V and 28V airplanes and trucks.
    A Man's Toyshop
    12 VOLT ACCESSORIES

just for some ideas, on the last link scroll down to the bottom, its on the left side of the page

I have no idea what's inside an airplane as far as electronics. I wired up a German Liebherr crane when I had my stereo installation business and just about everything was 24 volt. But it had a computer system running on 12 volt and actually had a power supply, once I located it I wired the head units (one in the cab, one in the operators cab) and also installed a generic 12 volt "cigarette lighter" socket to charge the operators phone.

If you have a 12 volt supply somewhere you could just wire up a socket, just two wires and a couple of bucks. But if you're anything like me, nothing works out the easy way lol
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011