What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YouTube video not available on iPad but is via PC - why?

argon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my PC I created a YouTube music video link (in another forum) and it works as intended via my desktop PC. When I access that same forum and link, the YouTube page appears with all its usual content, but the main viewing window for the selected video has a still frame (like a photo) of the/from the video with a black horizontal banner across the center of it stating, "This video is not available."

Out of curiosity (thinking there might be some sort of file ID anomaly) I did a search on YouTube for the same video on the iPad (Pro) and surprisingly, the video was NOT among the search results! Weird. I have no idea why this video would not be included. OK - I can see, then, why the link would not work via my iPad if somehow the video was excluded from iPad access. I don't know why/how this could be.

Check it out for yourselves. Here's the complete title of the YouTube video. Play it on you desktop and then on your iPad, if you can find it; you may have to first creat a link via your desktop computer (copied & pasted link, below):

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird - 7/2/1977 - Oakland Coliseum Stadium (Official)

Here's the active link:

PS - OK - I can see the YouTube video embedded here and can play it on my iPad from this thread. the YouTube file nomenclature ...QxIWDmmqZzY is the same as posted on the other forum (no video screen shows there, simply the active typed out link). Can't figure it out.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's probably something to do with how the video is licenced. My guess (and it's just a guess) is that the video is not available for mobile devices (it's a possible settings), but somehow the combination of the forum and Safari is bypassing the restriction.

I'm getting the same behavior you describe both on my iPad Pro and iPhone 6 Plus.

Anothewords, it's not you or something you are doing wrong. It's a combination of YouTube, permissions, and other weird stuff that we'll probably never understand.

OP
A

argon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I think you are correct. Thanks.

OP
A

argon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I often do, I check in with various forums on either my desktop PC or my iPad Pro. I looked at this thread on my PC, and see/play the embedded video clip:

http://forum.reverendguitars.com/double-agent-w-a-lollar-p90-50s-wind_topic15147.html

On my iPad, there is only a blank space -- nothing at all where the embedded video would be located -- no error message or anything. So, out of curiosity, I dig out my old cheap Android tablet, and find that the video is present when I bring up the same thread, and it plays; no error.

So, there is a problem with my iPad or there is a problem with Safari. I suppose the next step is to install another iPad-compatible browser and see what happens. Any recommendation for a bullet-proof browser?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's the choice of the content providers on YouTube whether or not a video will play on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. There's no problem with your iPad or with Safari.

OP
A

argon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I understood that point when twerppoet made it, but as I found out today (via curious experimentation) that there is no problem with my Android tablet.

I would find it odd that video would be made available to an Android tablet/device and not to an Apple tablet/device. Well, it seems very weird to me, and takes away some of the fun utility of my iPad....

Most reactions