What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You still wonder why is LTE so important - Read this!

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that main trick here is - how fast LTE will be implemented in countries that Apple consider big marketplaces.
If their management saw potential in fast growing LTE, than I am sure iPad 3 will be LTE supported. If they dont see potential, than iPad 4 is reserved for LTE.

Be aware that Apple built his highly respected image in tech. world because he is one that brings fresh technology to customers, that others just cant in that moment.

I agree it could be a big selling point for many. I would just hate for people to think if they buy an iPad 3 thinking they will get a fantastic new level of networking without realising only a few places and operators currently run an LTE/4G service.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has to jump into LTE at some point. They build products to last more than one year, so even if LTE may not be a big thing now, they may be more likely to add it to the iPad 3 because of taking care of customers future needs. Think of how few places had 3G when the original iPad came out. Their biggest concern is going to be battery life. I would think that the LTE chip will be designed to not draw power unless it sees a network, and it could be turned off when not wanted.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Current LTE chipsets are dumb and high power. Until the low power chipsets are available in quantity - estimates are still a year away - Apple will not support LTE.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That part made me post this thread. Because when LTE becomes reality on iPad, we finally can say that iPad is no longer device primarily made for fun & surfing.
And that fact makes iPad very interesting for various people who would like to have their tools (programs) always with them ready to accomplish complex tasks.

For example I use Photoshop & Illustrator (programs that requires serious hardware set-up) & it would be amazing to have them on my iPad.

But, like you said, people who will use iPad 3 for fun LTE is nothing special :)

There are plenty of people using iPad for work without needing LTE.

For example: Twenty-six percent of European doctors use an iPad professionally | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Sure, some consumers might want LTE now, but I'd venture to say that many don't want to give up battery life to gain speed. What is the use of a mobile device that quickly needs recharging?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do not forget that the high battery drain is only when operating on a 4G network. A lot of people may want the ability to use the service, but will rarely connect. Software can be used to keep LTE off line unless the 3G is slow due to high usage. Or there could be a selector system to choose performance level vs battery life.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do not forget that the high battery drain is only when operating on a 4G network. A lot of people may want the ability to use the service, but will rarely connect. Software can be used to keep LTE off line unless the 3G is slow due to high usage. Or there could be a selector system to choose performance level vs battery life.

Lol. So it would be good to have 4G if we could turn it off, or if we live where we couldn't access it.

I have homes in two 4G cities and have resisted signing up. I have grandfathered unlimited 3G on iPad and iPhone, and I'm paying only a fraction of what new accounts cost.

I might bite the bullet and switch to 4G for a new Android phone that I really want, but not if battery life sucks. If it does suck, I might buy the non-U.S. model, which is 3G, even though I would have to pay more than double because there would be no U.S. carrier subsidy.

OP
Milanno

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree it could be a big selling point for many. I would just hate for people to think if they buy an iPad 3 thinking they will get a fantastic new level of networking without realising only a few places and operators currently run an LTE/4G service.

Check this:

eu-4g.jpg

EP endorses plan to free up frequencies for high-speed mobile internet
Information society − 15-02-2012

Mobile internet is set to hit dizzying speeds after MEPs approved today a proposal to free up radio frequencies for their use. Under the plan member states will be required to open up more frequencies for high-speed mobile internet by 2013 to satisfy growing demand for wireless data.

Swedish Christian Democrat Gunnar Hökmark, who was responsible for steering the legislation through Parliament, commented: “We have ensured that sufficient amounts of spectrum both for coverage and capacity are made accessible in the EU to achieve the fastest mobile broadband worldwide." The MEP said the initiative could also prove to be a boon to European companies. “By this decision on radio spectrum policy we are taking the necessary steps in order to regain a European global leadership regarding mobile telecoms, with all the opportunities for European telecoms industry as well as for new services, new jobs and new growth.”

Many devices in our daily lives make use of radio waves, such as mobile phones, remote controls and satellite navigation. They operate within a range of frequencies lying between 9 kHz and 300 GHz which is called radio spectrum. However, it is a scarce resource that can accommodate only a limited number of users. This limitation requires careful planning and management of radio spectrum to avoid interference.

Today MEPs approved the first radio spectrum policy programme (RSPP) which will help to co-ordinate the use of spectrum for new services and technologies, such as “fourth generation” (4G) wireless networks (e.g., LTE and Wimax) that can reach up to 100 Mbps download speeds. According to the programme, member states will have to authorise the use of the 800 MHz band for wireless broadband by 1 January 2013

Currently, the 800 MHz band is used to broadcast analogue TV channels in most member states, but will be freed by the end of 2012 when all TV sets will be switched to digital. This so-called digital dividend will be assigned to superfast mobile internet, aiming to reduce data traffic pressure (due to growing number of smart-phones and desire for data-heavy services, such as high-quality video streaming) on currently used “third generation” networks, to contribute to bringing fast broadband connections to people in remote areas and to give a new impetus to wireless internet services across Europe.

The 800 MHz spectrum band is more useful for 4G wireless services than frequencies above 1 GHz. This band is better at penetrating buildings and provides superior indoor reception and travels longer distances without losing strength. This is why it is cheaper to build a network around it using fewer masts.

Although the management of radio frequencies remains a national responsibility, the EU has played an important role by coordinating policy and setting standards, especially in mobile communications. Radio spectrum coordination at EU level was essential in the success of the European GSM standard for mobile phones, which today is used by more than two billion people around the world.

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
right now if the iPad will have LTE is a toss up with it not having LTE being slightly more likely.

Apple has stated in the past that they don't want to jump into 4G until the chips have been used for some time and had most of the issues ironed out. Right now we are at the point where manufactures have now had a little more than a year, maybe a year and a half making LTE chips. Verizon and AT&T's 4G coverage is really limited, I don't think they have even rolled out LTE here in Miami, Florid and if they did it happened recently. Besides that, all carriers are now going in the LTE direction where last year that was not clear. It wasn't until this month that manufactures just started using CAT3 SIM cards for LTE devices. CAT3 SIM cards allow the simcard to be swapped in and out of the phone where older LTE sim cards were permanently matched to the device (you loose the sim card or damage it and you need new phone). Add on top of that that with the iPad being on multiple carriers, apple will want to wait for the manufacturers to make chips that work not only with LTE(hardly anyone right now has LTE coverage) but also CDMA and GSM. If your are out of range of LTE connection it needs to fall back to CDMA or GSM radio. The chip would also need to work on the frequencies of all the carriers since the carriers are all using different frequencies.

Verizon has to be hoping for LTE in the next iPad since AT&T is already capable of offering speeds over 5mpbs with its current 3G HSPA+.

I would say that I'm hopeful and would be happy to see LTE in the new iPad however I'm not going to expect to see it added.

Also the things talked about like cloud computing are all low bandwidth things, what uses up bandwidth is downloading full video content (not streaming, although streaming does use bandwidth as well) I could easily remote into my home computer from my first generation iPad using ATT 3G data without issue turning my screen into my home desktop. The amount of information these type of apps use is minimal since all thats being sent is click locations and its just receiving screenshots back.

Psdsoft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LTE is great in Australia and would certainly influence my purchasing decision.... But i'll buy anyway :)

Most reactions

Latest posts