What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWDC22

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This year the WWDC, which takes place on June 6-10, will still be mostly online but developers and students will have to opportunity to watch the Keynote and state of the union videos live at Apple Park.
5C99AD7B-BB04-4879-900D-2B3FBFE32B9F.jpeg

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Lots of interesting new features coming, some of them tied to the M1 chip. Also the first M2 devices announced, which means I'm going to suppress my urge to update my 2018 iPad Pro for a bit longer, until the M2 iPad Pro hits the shelves (not announced but inevitable).

Things that caught my attention, and that I will probably use.

The ability to create lists in Contacts. Actually you've always had groups/lists in iOS/iPadOS, you just could't create them in Contacts. You either had to use a Mac, go to iCloud.com, or use a thrid party app. You've only been able to use those groups/lists as email lists that last couple of versions, but you could create them.

Continuity Camera. Integrated use of your iPhone camera as a conference camera on the Mac. There are thrid party apps for this, but this will be integrated system wide.

iPhone Lock screen, more customization and use of widgets. This is actually much more useful than i imagined when I heard the rumor. As usual, some people will love it for it's ease of use and looks, and others will hate it for not quite doing what they want. The combination of Focus with the ability to have multiple lock screens means I might actually use it.

Messages, nice to be able to edit or recall snafus.

Big dictation improvements. I already use it now and then, but I'll probably use it more now that you can easily mix and match keyboard imput.

Maps. Multi-point navigation. Yes!

Stage Manager, a new way of having multiple apps/windows open on the iPad. Resizable even. I have mixed feelings about this. For my personal use, I'll have to play around a bit to see if I like it. But, it is one more step moving the iPad away from its roots in simplicity. Those of us who have grown to use our iPads as a full on replacement for a laptop welcome most of these changes (at least when they get refined). Those that yearn for the early days of one screen, one app are going to be annoyed if they accidentally enter the new mode.

Weather app for the iPad. Nice. Apple bought Dark Sky a while back, and we've seen improvements in the iOS Weather app. You'll get the same app, even better, on the iPad.

All Apple apps have had some feature additions and improvements. The ones demoed looked nice. Not mentioned in the keynote, but I saw a couple new tools in Apple's drawing palet; a crayon and paint tube. Hoping they show up in all the apps.

Freeform. An endless whiteboard app, similar to some available third party apps. It's meant for online collaboration, but I could see myself using it for other things. It was only a sneak peek, so who knows when it will ship.

Some of the watch stuff looks nice. I like the ability to set up alerts during workouts. You can have the watch warn you if your heart rate goes over a set limit, or a few other metrics/times.

You'll be able to track your medications on the watch. I'm pretty ticked at how inconsistent my current app is working. If they haven't fixed it by then, I may just use this instead.

Sleep tracking is improved. Maybe I'lll give it another go.

AFib History is interesting, and relevant for me.

Not a bad WWDC Keynote. I was informed and entertained. Only the MacBook Air spot with the guy, and everything else floating around his apartment made me cringe.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Lots of interesting new features coming, some of them tied to the M1 chip. Also the first M2 devices announced, which means I'm going to suppress my urge to update my 2018 iPad Pro for a bit longer, until the M2 iPad Pro hits the shelves (not announced but inevitable).

Things that caught my attention, and that I will probably use.

The ability to create lists in Contacts. Actually you've always had groups/lists in iOS/iPadOS, you just could't create them in Contacts. You either had to use a Mac, go to iCloud.com, or use a thrid party app. You've only been able to use those groups/lists as email lists that last couple of versions, but you could create them.

Continuity Camera. Integrated use of your iPhone camera as a conference camera on the Mac. There are thrid party apps for this, but this will be integrated system wide.

iPhone Lock screen, more customization and use of widgets. This is actually much more useful than i imagined when I heard the rumor. As usual, some people will love it for it's ease of use and looks, and others will hate it for not quite doing what they want. The combination of Focus with the ability to have multiple lock screens means I might actually use it.

Messages, nice to be able to edit or recall snafus.

Big dictation improvements. I already use it now and then, but I'll probably use it more now that you can easily mix and match keyboard imput.

Maps. Multi-point navigation. Yes!

Stage Manager, a new way of having multiple apps/windows open on the iPad. Resizable even. I have mixed feelings about this. For my personal use, I'll have to play around a bit to see if I like it. But, it is one more step moving the iPad away from its roots in simplicity. Those of us who have grown to use our iPads as a full on replacement for a laptop welcome most of these changes (at least when they get refined). Those that yearn for the early days of one screen, one app are going to be annoyed if they accidentally enter the new mode.

Weather app for the iPad. Nice. Apple bought Dark Sky a while back, and we've seen improvements in the iOS Weather app. You'll get the same app, even better, on the iPad.

All Apple apps have had some feature additions and improvements. The ones demoed looked nice. Not mentioned in the keynote, but I saw a couple new tools in Apple's drawing palet; a crayon and paint tube. Hoping they show up in all the apps.

Freeform. An endless whiteboard app, similar to some available third party apps. It's meant for online collaboration, but I could see myself using it for other things. It was only a sneak peek, so who knows when it will ship.

Some of the watch stuff looks nice. I like the ability to set up alerts during workouts. You can have the watch warn you if your heart rate goes over a set limit, or a few other metrics/times.

You'll be able to track your medications on the watch. I'm pretty ticked at how inconsistent my current app is working. If they haven't fixed it by then, I may just use this instead.

Sleep tracking is improved. Maybe I'lll give it another go.

AFib History is interesting, and relevant for me.

Not a bad WWDC Keynote. I was informed and entertained. Only the MacBook Air spot with the guy, and everything else floating around his apartment made me cringe.
Hi TP - nice summary - we watched that night via our Apple TV - macOS 13 (Ventura) eliminates an upgrade for my 2015 MBAir laptop - our newer iMac is fine. SO, I'll be in the market later this year for a new M2 laptop - for my needs, the MBAir will be adequate - will sell my old 2012 MBPro to Apple (if acceptable) - not sure yet what to do w/ the old MBAir (may keep for a while as a spare). All of our iDevices and Apple TVs will take the new 16. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts