What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would appreciate some tips

kirstenvn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just purchased my first apple product, the iPad 3
I have sort of figured out the iTunes, I know the music does not save and have a music downloaded
How do I transfer files from pc to iPad for eg music and videos and also ebooks
I have the kindle app but have other ebooks not purchased through kindle that want to download in Dropbox but then don't work
Thanks for any assistance

Alp_eat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi , I bought the new Ipad 3 on kind of an impulse buy on Sunday , and I am still trying to figure out most things ,Arrrgggghhhhh.
Not really sure what I am going to use it for , but I guess the kids will find many uses for it .

I too am having problems trying to rationalise all my files ,music, and pictures , from my IPod and laptop onto my new IPad .
There doesn't seem to be any means of moving and organising the files as there is with lap tops I have used .

While I'm on here , is there anyway of locking the email icon or password protecting it , so ever Tom Dick and Harry who borrow the IPad can not riffle through my e-mail account ?

Many thanks , in advance ,

ogilley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first thing you have to understand is that there are NO file management capabilities in iOS in its native form. Therefore there is no real equivalent to folders for organizing your files like on a pc. The apps you have installed manage the file types they are designed to work with. Once you come to terms with notion, you can begin to focus on getting the apps that let you work with the items you need to use. Some built in capabilities like music and photos can be handled with iOS and iTunes. There are lots of threads on this forum that have helpful details. For other items like PDFs, text files, spreadsheets, etc need apps designed to work with them. Don't give up, just keep reading this forum.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Alp_eat said:
Hi , I bought the new Ipad 3 on kind of an impulse buy on Sunday , and I am still trying to figure out most things ,Arrrgggghhhhh.
Not really sure what I am going to use it for , but I guess the kids will find many uses for it .

I too am having problems trying to rationalise all my files ,music, and pictures , from my IPod and laptop onto my new IPad .
There doesn't seem to be any means of moving and organising the files as there is with lap tops I have used .

While I'm on here , is there anyway of locking the email icon or password protecting it , so ever Tom Dick and Harry who borrow the IPad can not riffle through my e-mail account ?

Many thanks , in advance ,

If there is a way to lock email I don't know of it. The iPad is just not meant to be shared, if you expect to maintain some kind of privacy....I put a lock code on mine and no one else is allowed to use it. It is an "I" device....as in "I" , not us, them, we, or they. :)

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
If there is a way to lock email I don't know of it. The iPad is just not meant to be shared, if you expect to maintain some kind of privacy....I put a lock code on mine and no one else is allowed to use it. It is an "I" device....as in "I" , not us, them, we, or they. :)

I disable email in a configured account to render it invisible when email folders are displayed by flipping email switch in account configuration to OFF.

I realize a jerk could switch it on so if I have that concern I remove the password from the configuration as well.

Then I just flip the switch back to email ON when I take back my iPad. Worst case I re enter my password but the account definition remains intact throughout.

It isn't locking your email but it does prohibit access.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
I disable email in a configured account to render it invisible when email folders are displayed by flipping email switch in account configuration to OFF.

I realize a jerk could switch it on so if I have that concern I remove the password from the configuration as well.

Then I just flip the switch back to email ON when I take back my iPad. Worst case I re enter my password but the account definition remains intact throughout.

It isn't locking your email but it does prohibit access.

It would be so much nicer if they let you put opening certain apps under password control. I do feel the need for greater security on these devices...

Most reactions