What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Work around for getting Imovies to see "All" your movies! ;-)

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just now watched your video. Great job explaining the process and the smoothness of it is impressive. I may have to put my Kodak on craigslist now.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I shoot a lot with my iPhone 4 at 720p/full quality and import the video files directly into my iPad via the camera connection kit. The video clips show up in iMovie perfectly. I find this the most streamlined way to shoot and edit in the field as I have an HD video camera, 5 megapixel still camera, smart phone and editing/viewing console by just carrying 2 mobile devices. I use the ProCamera iPhone app for manual (locked) white balance, focus, and exposure, all of which are imperative for decent looking stable video.

For my Canon 5DII HD files I transcode on my desktop as the conversion from 1080p to 720p would be way too slow on an iPad.

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent that it works so smoothly. Someday we may get an iPhone and things'll be good in the shoot/edit sphere. 'Til then I'm makin' do. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions along the way.

rnrwang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MTS to iMovie for iPad

Hello,

Just want to share my experience and solution not found in any of the forums I've googled. I hope this will solve other people's headaches and countless hours of trial-an-error.

Fact:
1. iMovie will only recognize "iPad compatiable" videos when the bitrate matches the recordings of iPhone/iPad. The are higher than the average converter settings out there.

2. While many of your clips converted just fine, and directory synced or copied to Camera Roll. They play just fine on the iPad. iMove will ignore them.

My Solution:
1. I use mediAvatar iPad Video Converter to convert my MTS into H.264 (HD). The conversion bitrate at 10322K. My 60 second sample MTS @ 1080p was 96mb, the final MP4 @ 720p was 81mb. Don't be mislead that you need the extension to be MOV. As long as it is H.264, with high enough bitrate iMovie will see them.

Most video converters uses bite rate of 3000K. They are nice for movies and they produce a small file. iMovie don't have time to deal with that high compression. This is a compact video editor, don't waste your time converting 20 minutes of videos into iPad format and only use 2 minutes.

2. To get the converted files into iPad, I use both Camera Connection Kit and an called "PhotoTransfer" this is great if don't have any data cable between PC/Mac to iPad.

I hope this helps everyone struggling with getting iMovie to recognize your videos. I'm very excited about create vacation videos quickly using clips from iPhone and HD camcorder with iMovie for iPad.

Happy Movie Making!

samsdad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a pretty easy way to get your non-apple-made videos (from Flip Camera, etc.) onto the Ipad2 in both the Videos Tab and the Photos Tab. Download any freeware or inexpensive video-to-ipad software; convert the video using their program; when it asks where you want to put the newly converted video, put it in it's own file folder on your Desktop. Then hook up your Ipad2 to your computer. Go to the Photos Tab on Itunes; specifically set it up to sync from the particular file folder you created on your desktop; make sure to check the "videos" box. Then sync. It'll show up in your Photos tab and you can play with it from there, or edit it on Reeldirector or IMovie.

Most reactions

Latest posts