What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Word processor for iPad?

Stuartp77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a word processor the the iPad?

And can I copy a page or pages from a particular book to my iPad?

Some help with these matters would be really appreciated, thanks,

Stuartp77

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Another comparison was undertaken here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Tim

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Stuart - welcome to the forum! :)

Tim has already provided two great links that compare a number of office apps - for myself, I'm using Apple's Pages, which is part of their iWorks suite.

Now concerning getting a page or pages from a book onto your iPad, you might want to provide some clarification, i.e. do you just want to read these page(s), integrate them into a document, perform some word processing, or other?

If just for reading purposes, the page(s) can be scanned and then transferred to your iPad by various means (e.g. email, Dropbox, etc.) - of course, plain scanning will produce an image which cannot be edited. If you need to 'edit' the material, then scanning using OCR (optical character recognition) is needed - let us know your needs & good luck!

OP
S

Stuartp77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Giradman,
Thanks for your quick reply. Actually I worked out how to get a page into my Ipad. Simply by scanning the document and saving it in Google Docs which provides the facility to edit a PDF document, then copying it into Notes on the Ipad.

However, I bought Writings for iPad, but can't work out how to save a file and make a list of files like in a typical word processor. Do you know if Writings can do this and if not, can you kindly recommend one that does?

Thanks for your help and best regards,

Stuart.

OP
S

Stuartp77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you those who kindly replied to my request. Actually downloaded "Writings" from the App Store and after fiddling around with if for a while found out how to add pages and this is just what I wanted.

Many thanks,

Stuartp77

cosimobonetti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Tim[/QUOTE]

Guys, I have a really simple question:

i use GoodReader to look at my word or excel doc, but what if i want to edit and change them?
i did not manage to do it! Is it possible?
Is page capable to let me edit, change and save .doc files that i have created on my home PC?

the same question holds for .xls files.

thanks!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys, I have a really simple question:

i use GoodReader to look at my word or excel doc, but what if i want to edit and change them?
i did not manage to do it! Is it possible?
Is page capable to let me edit, change and save .doc files that i have created on my home PC?

the same question holds for .xls files.

thanks!

If you're working primarily with Microsoft Office documents on your PC and want to edit the document on your iPad and pass it back to the PC for further work, you may find that Documents To Go is your best option. (It's an app available in the App Store.) Word and Excel are supported in the $10 version. PowerPoint is supported as well in the $17 version.

Pages and Numbers (part of the iWork suite on the iPad) should enable you to do the same. However, the UI for Documents To Go on the iPad is closer to Microsoft Office and may be more comfortable for you to use.

cosimobonetti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey jsh1120,
Thanks a lot for your answer. Still not clear if I can modify in my iPad2 word and excel files created with my PC, and than modify the modified files with my PC and so on.
I work with Goodreader and PDFprofessional and there is an option on both softwares to open the visualized file with another application. I would like to find have there the option to open a doc or xlc file visualized on GoodReader or PDFmaker with, for instace Doc2Go. Is it clear what I mean?
Thanks a lot

starmel18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you open the doc in Goodreader or whatever app, select the Open In option and find whatever Word processor you want to use to modify the doc.

Most reactions

Latest posts