What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Security Camera

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been looking in to remote security cameras to be monitored by the Ipad.

Applications are house/ garden/garage monitoring from a distance using my ipad.

I would like the camera to work with the home wi-fi network, not to be connected to a router which is too far away to be practical.

Can anyone recommend a wireless camera that can be moved around the house, can be monitored by the ipad and simple to install?

Michael

darrinaltman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look at the Vuezone.com system. It has a gateway that connects to your router but the cameras are wireless, small and super easy to move around. I have a system with a camera for front door, garage, backyard, driveway, living room and family room. Have it now for close to a year and not once have I had to change a battery. You can easily view from iPhone, iPad or pc/Mac.

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look at the Vuezone.com system. It has a gateway that connects to your router but the cameras are wireless, small and super easy to move around. I have a system with a camera for front door, garage, backyard, driveway, living room and family room. Have it now for close to a year and not once have I had to change a battery. You can easily view from iPhone, iPad or pc/Mac.

How much did you spend on setting up the Vuezone system? Does it involve a subscription cost? How easy is it to set up for external network access, i.e., on vacation, from work, etc.? Thanks.

darrinaltman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SYS said:
How much did you spend on setting up the Vuezone system? Does it involve a subscription cost? How easy is it to set up for external network access, i.e., on vacation, from work, etc.? Thanks.

It's been about a year since I bought it all. I first bought the system with just one camera and have added cameras one by one since then. I will probably add a newer motion detection camera soon. You'll have to check their site for current prices.

Regarding the rest, no subscription charges for the first year and then $20 a year, simple to access anywhere by logging into vuezone account on your pc or on iPhone, android. Every once in a while I get an error and have to unplug and plug back in the gateway, but it could be related to my crappy dsl service thru ATT. So, if it goes down when you're on vacation then your out of luck. Only happens once in a while. I am more than satisfied with it.

Logitech also has a system compatible with iOS. It's a little more high tech and requires power to the cameras, it's not run on batteries. The vuezone is cool because you can easily move the cameras.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
darrinaltman said:
It's been about a year since I bought it all. I first bought the system with just one camera and have added cameras one by one since then. I will probably add a newer motion detection camera soon. You'll have to check their site for current prices.

Regarding the rest, no subscription charges for the first year and then $20 a year, simple to access anywhere by logging into vuezone account on your pc or on iPhone, android. Every once in a while I get an error and have to unplug and plug back in the gateway, but it could be related to my crappy dsl service thru ATT. So, if it goes down when you're on vacation then your out of luck. Only happens once in a while. I am more than satisfied with it.

Logitech also has a system compatible with iOS. It's a little more high tech and requires power to the cameras, it's not run on batteries. The vuezone is cool because you can easily move the cameras.

Is it possible to remotly connect to your cameras without the vuezone subscription?

You say that Logitech is more high tech. Do you mean the image quality?

Regards,

Jan

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

darrinaltman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JJK said:
Is it possible to remotly connectnto your cameras without the vuezone subscription?

You say that Logitech is more high tech. Do you mean the image quality?

Regards,

Jan

I don't know about connecting without subscription since I haven't hit the year yet, although very close. You will have to check the web site or email them.

Logitech allows for real time monitoring without having to login to a web site. You can view all of your cameras on a pc (not a Mac) for constant monitoring. They also have an iOS app. The cameras are higher quality but require power. You will really have to research on their websites to see if they work for you.

I have an old version of the logitech, not iOS compatible with two cameras on my driveway and one at front door. I have a MacBook pro in kitchen with Parallels running windows xp and my wife can see all three cameras at any time. I also get a photo email sent to me of any activity during the day. It records a clip of the activity and I can view at anytime via a computer. With the newer version you can also view on an iOS device.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I had Logitech on my list for a long time and it is my favorite for the time being.

Chakatajaca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We wanted a video monitor for our baby's room/crib and the prices of them are outrageous. I picked up one of these Foscam ip cameras and it works perfectly for our needs.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046710G6]Amazon.com: Foscam FI8918W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP Camera with 8 Meter Night Vision and 3.6mm Lens (67° Viewing Angle) - Black NEWEST MODEL (replaces the FI8908W): Electronics[/ame]

It needs to have a power source but it connects via wifi to the router after the initial configuration. Then it has a built in camera monitoring system that is able to control multiple cameras. I just direct the ipad browser to the internal network address and it pulls it up. You can also configure it with a dynamic dns service if you want to access the camera outside of your own network.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Logitech has a system, but it requires a PC as the base station. A death knell for me.

TomyD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
D-Link has wireless cams like the DCS-932L which can be monitored through mydlink.com for free.
And there's an app for the for IPhone and IPad.

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Epicor h264 from Everfocus that allows me to monitor my home from my iPad, iPhone and any computer from anywhere.
I can do it from both an app or safari on my iPad and iPhone.
I love it.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
D-Link has wireless cams like the DCS-932L which can be monitored through mydlink.com for free.
And there's an app for the for IPhone and IPad.

I've got a Dlink DCS-930L camera at home streaming over the internet. I use the mydlink-lite app available from the app store.

The camera uses wifi, so it's wireless. You can put it anywhere as long as you have an electrical plug handy and it's in range of your wireless router. Everything is managed by the router, so you don't need to have a computer running.

When you buy certain D-Link cameras, (like the DCS-930L) you get access to a free server (supplied by D-link) that 'bounces' your home image over to the web. All you have to do is log in, and then watch..

I can see my house live and in real time over the iPad from anywhere I have access to the web either via wifi or 3G.

My dislikes.... The camera only has 640x480 resolution so you don't get high detail.. The mydlink-lite app is an iPhone app so it needs to be enlarged with the 2X button on the bottom right side of the screen.

Other than that, it serves my needs.

Last edited:

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased a Loftek IP cam from Amazon.com about a week ago, and after playing with it for a few days, I decided to order one more. Here's the Amazon link:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GWQBWY]Amazon.com: Genuine LOFTEK Brand CXS 2200 pan(270)/tilt(120)wireless/wired Dual Audio Alarm Ip camera with day/night version,easy installation,Black: Electronics[/ame]

While I was successfully able to set it up in my local network, I still haven't figured out how to set it up for remote access with the Live Cams HD app. But that's because I'm a noob when it comes to messing with remote network.

Most reactions