What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Keyboard Help!

ke5jwc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New IPad3..new Wireless Keyboard. Successfully paired yesterday. Today...not so much. Keeps searching in "now discoverable" mode but cannot find it. The keyboard has fresh batteries...is right up against the IPad...hit the on button...nothing...held the on button...nothing...the green light on the keyboard does come on for a few seconds. Hey, I know this is not rocket science so does anyone have any suggestions or do I have a bum keyboard?? Thanks...

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello & welcome to the forum! :)

Well just to be simple & quick, I would check the batteries (if you have a battery checker) or try a set of new batteries - probably not the reason since you state 'fresh' batteries but will do no harm. I've had the Apple BT keyboard and the batteries should last a while. Good luck and please post back if you discover the problem!

OP
K

ke5jwc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried new batteries right out of the package...checked them with my battery checker and both properly charged...no luck...tried two more batteries...no luck? Wonder if my keyboard is defective??

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK - so not the batteries, sorry would have been the simple answer - now, I own the iPad 2 and have not had a connection issue w/ my KB (at least up to now).

If you have a family member or friend w/ an iPad, you could attempt to 'pair' it w/ their device; or, if you bought the iPad/KB locally, then return to the store and have them check out both - you're still under warranty and a 'free' replacement would be a likely outcome.

Good luck again! :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just checked my BT keyboard, and found that a long press on the button will disconnect it. It take only a very brief touch to connect it. I suspect a hardware fault, particularly if you have successfully paired and connected the devices in the past.

FWIW, I hadn't used my keyboard for several weeks, but pulled it out to check things for this question. It connected immediately, and the batteries are several months old.

All I can suggest is don't hang on to that button. One touch and release should be all that's needed.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you've gone through the process of forgetting the KB and repairing it?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had this problem before....I had to go well away from my router and other computers...then it connection would be made. I think sometimes bluetooth and wifi have problems together.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I've had this problem before....I had to go well away from my router and other computers...then it connection would be made. I think sometimes bluetooth and wifi have problems together.

They use the same antenna, apparently. Just checked this out, which you could also try. Turn on "Airplane Mode" then try to connect the keyboard.

OP
K

ke5jwc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem Solved

OK, here's what happened. Went back in to my settings and noted that WiFi was off. That came as a surprise to me because I have been connected to the net all along. Clicked the WiFi on and the KB responded. Cannot figure out
why I have had complete access to my home network while the WiFi indicated it was off.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I am 64 years old but have been involved with PC's since the 70's. Some things are very obvious to me and others not but always enjoy learning new things!!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, we sound like twins - :D

Just turned 66 y/o myself and have been into computers since 1980 (Apple II+ first but PCs since then). Hopefully you've resolved your problem w/ the KB but I'm not sure about the explanation - a little weird; please keep us informed - Dave :)

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Well, we sound like twins - :D

Just turned 66 y/o myself and have been into computers since 1980 (Apple II+ first but PCs since then). Hopefully you've resolved your problem w/ the KB but I'm not sure about the explanation - a little weird; please keep us informed - Dave :)

You should check out the new Logitech Ultrathin keyboard, best keyboard for the iPad right now.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Daylife said:
You should check out the new Logitech Ultrathin keyboard, best keyboard for the iPad right now.

Do you have one of these yet?

Most reactions

Latest posts