What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wired magazine's iPad edition - anyone else tried it?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dunno, I had the test zinio mags and they all had animated content, links to ads, etc. I'm sure it's not full out 500mb worth...but...

OP
E

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Really? I didn't see Jack in the ones I tried. I deleted Zinio after a day or two.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use it, I use RSS feeds from the sites I trust, but some of them had like moving ads and stuff. I forget which one I read through.

planemechanic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I hope NO ONE buys an iPad formatted magazine at these ridiculous prices. Zinio is starting to get it, with some magazines as low as $5 a year. But there is NO WAY I will pay full price or MORE for a bunch of electrons that have already been sent to the printer for the paper version. Adding a few extra pictures and video they already offer on their websites is not worth a penny more.

Once they fail at this marketing scheme they will wake up, just like cell phone companies did. Remember 50 cents per minute for ANY CALL? I do. Never used my phone except for emergencies. Now it is a small monthly fee for unlimited calls and data, and everyone wants a phone.

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know.
Digital publishing has been around for quite a while.
And the pricing is still wacko!

For eBooks, The publishers don't have to pay for
  • Printing costs.
  • Shipping costs. (books are heavy)
  • Middlemen percentages.
  • markup for the bookstand.
  • The cost of returns and shipping for that, of the lots that don't sell.
  • And storage and warehouse costs all along the path.

The above items make up a HUGE portion of the cost of a physical book at the register.
The cost of publishing an eBook with their already established computer system is minimal compared to the above.
  • So . . . Do we get a cost break for eBooks?
    Nope. They cost us pretty much full retail.
    Not even the discount we get at some retailers.
  • But . . . are they passing on that extra savings to the authors?
    Right... don't make me laugh.

I didn't mind as book prices went up through the years.
I knew paper and shipping, etc., were rising, and the cost was justified.
But now that those costs are being cut out of the loop?

I would say that the publishers were just not figuring out the truth.
But I am pretty sure they DO understand.
All that extra profit... I think we know where it is going.

I don't know if they WILL ever do it right.
It has been around quite a while now and we don't even always get the paperback cost cut, and we can't get the bargain bin pricing that you can find paper books at in the sales bins.

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I was reading the website correctly, you can subscribe to the Zinio version of the magazine for like 2 bucks more than the app...for an entire year!

I don't see Wired in the zinio store. I deleted maxim's app bc the price per issue cost was so high. got a reasonable yearly subscription via zinio. hopefully I can find wired this way too.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wired has it's own app, and IMO, the best magazine for the iPad. Love it.

I'm pretty annoyed by magazine apps that act just like PDF copies of the print mag - and Wired is WAY more than that.

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wired has it's own app, and IMO, the best magazine for the iPad. Love it.

I'm pretty annoyed by magazine apps that act just like PDF copies of the print mag - and Wired is WAY more than that.

they certainly do, but the price is phenomenally high. spinoff for example is still interactive and has a cheap yearly subscription via zinio. same with maxim.

Most reactions

Latest posts