What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winterboard causes "it safe mode"

gray_mouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 1 -- 4.3.1 -- redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc8

When I install winterboard through Cydia it asks me to reboot, and after reboot spring board comes into "it safe mode" --- it says it safe mode right in the middle on top when usually there is clock.. Uninstalling winterboard and additional package it installed fixes it.

I want to skin my iPad, what to do?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes Winterboard causes ... troubles. After a re-boot, immediately do a respring and see what happens.

I've noticed that Winterboard doesn't do well after a re-boot, but it does after a respring.

If that doesn't help, I got nothing else ... sorry.

Marilyn

OP
gray_mouse

gray_mouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have at first glance a dumb Q, but google yielded null result on this.

How to respring?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My apologies for the confusion. Respringing is when you just re-start the springboard, versus re-boot, which re-starts the whole device. It looks as if you are re-booting (cause you get the boot logo), but it's a little faster.

I have access to a re-spring method because I installed a Cydia package called SBSettings. Other than the fact that this package gives you access to some awesome toggles, it comes with a button to respring your device.

There are other respring tools available, but since SBSettings gives you the ability to toggle on/off things like bluetooth, WiFi, 3G, rotation, etc ... I recommend you get that one. I think it's free, but don't quote me on that.

Still doesn't mean that re-springing will help with your original problem, but I think I have had the same issues you have with Winterboard (weird behavior after reboot). When I respring after a reboot, all is as it's supposed to be.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on (or if you have more Qs).

Marilyn

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like your name "gray", fits with mine! :) Anyway, winterboard will cause springboard to crash if there is a problem with the theme. So, it the .plist files or the strings aren't correct, springboard goes crazy trying to find them and then just crashes. Try another theme.

Yomamma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. Sbsettings is a good app but it sometimes crashes ur springboard and so does winterboard

Most reactions

Latest posts