What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will The iPad Eventually Have A Camera?

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipad-camera-41610.jpg

According to a report in the Daily Telegraph today, Apple has posted a job advert on its website for a “quality assurance engineer to work on video and stills capture with the iPad media team.†This innocent little ad has led to a lot of speculation that Apple might be looking to feature a camera in the next version of the iPad, especially since tech experts have already discovered that the iPad has a slot in its frame that is the perfect size for an Apple iSight camera. And, as if that wasn’t enough evidence, the Telegraph also reports that developers have found code within the iPad’s address book that would enable users to add a picture to an entry, although of course that could just mean photos that you’ve imported. The article concludes by saying that Apple always meant the iPad to have a camera, but including one proved to be too expensive in the end, so the idea was ditched, at least for the first iteration of the device.

By Maura Sutton, iPadForums.net
[Source: www.telegraph.co.uk]

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could see it happening. Although the iTouch never got a camera, mean while all the iPhones had it from the start.

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It really seems to be a growth path that Apple had always embraced from the start in my opinion. Why would you bring everything to the table with the first gen and limit your growth potential for later releases?

with the next gen release Apple will have clear imperical data to base sales models on instead of annecdotal data as with the initial launch.

I actualy believed S. Jobs during the 4.0 OS Q&A when he talked about having butterflies the night before the IPad launch, I don't think these were theatrics, or fals humility. Apple has had many failures in the past, and any new product launch still has that potential.

If the next IPad does include a camera, I think it will be a leapfrog event for some consumers. The initial buyers of the IPad may skip it waiting for the 3rd Gen release, but the initial skeptics may then be the primary purchasers of their fist IPad, and so forth and so on.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Truth is with bluetooth connectivity you don't need a built in cam. It would be easier to have a small bluetooth camera that's portable.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Truth is with bluetooth connectivity you don't need a built in cam. It would be easier to have a small bluetooth camera that's portable.
That would be quiet clunky for video chat. I would not mind seeing something that can be plugged into the iPad connector, as long as it's about the size of a quarter or smaller (more flat and not round of course). Could be removed, when not in use, or provide a pass-through for syncing cable.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That would be quiet clunky for video chat. I would not mind seeing something that can be plugged into the iPad connector, as long as it's about the size of a quarter or smaller (more flat and not round of course). Could be removed, when not in use, or provide a pass-through for syncing cable.

Well with todays technology you can probably make a BT camera that's not much bigger than what you are talking about and without any cables.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would personally rather have a high quality USB camera that locks onto the device for video chat than a crappy bezel cam.

Will there'd ever be a bezel cam? Maybe, but not likely. I say this because one of the big selling points apple made on the iPad is that it fits to you, so you can hold it however you want....adding a bezel cam forces you to hold it portrait, which would be horrible for video chat. If you had a camera that plugged in or better yet Bluetooth you could use the device however you want and just place the camera wherever you want.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would personally rather have a high quality USB camera that locks onto the device for video chat than a crappy bezel cam.

Will there'd ever be a bezel cam? Maybe, but not likely. I say this because one of the big selling points apple made on the iPad is that it fits to you, so you can hold it however you want....adding a bezel cam forces you to hold it portrait, which would be horrible for video chat. If you had a camera that plugged in or better yet Bluetooth you could use the device however you want and just place the camera wherever you want.

Exactly gentlefury.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm quite happy not to have a camera built into iPad, though I wouldn't mind if it was. My money's on some enterprising third party producing a camera that plugs into the dock connector; this is a device that doesn't care which way is up, remember, so the connector could easily be at the top - or the side for that matter. I think there's lots of potential for this device - can't wait to get my hands on one ;)

Cheers, Pete

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score

And which way would you be forced to hold it if the camera was build in? Portrait of-course. This is not a huge incovenience like you make it sound. There are plenty of Apps that force use of portrait or landscape. If I had to choose one that was docked to the iPad or mobile, and sitting else where, I would choose the one that docks. Then I can just get up walk around with the camera, and not be forced to be stationary.

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the idea of a camera, but frankly do not think I would use it that much. I have a camera on my phone and rarely use it. so far as video chat, that could be useful, but thats a mic, and camera and who knows what else that needs to be added to the device, and the horsepower needed to push live video could be just too much for the battery.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the idea of a camera, but frankly do not think I would use it that much. I have a camera on my phone and rarely use it. so far as video chat, that could be useful, but thats a mic, and camera and who knows what else that needs to be added to the device, and the horsepower needed to push live video could be just too much for the battery.
The iPad does have a mic, and 1GHZ A4 should be plenty to push live video, even on a 3G connection.

dks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really would not use it on a regular basis... a little clip-on or stand alone bluetooth camera might be nice though

Tagg67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see a need for a camera on the Ipad unless it was for use as a webcam. It would be kind of weird trying to hold the Ipad, and then press the button on the screen to snap the photo.

A webcam seems more logical to me. IMO.

Most reactions

Latest posts