What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the Android tablets make Apple give iPads more freedom of online programs?

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am just wondering if tablets like the new Samsung Galaxy 10.1 note with it's Android OS and a lot of freedom of using online 2nd party programs, will make Apple start giving people with iPads more freedom in using their iPads?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipadder474 said:
I am just wondering if tablets like the new Samsung Galaxy 10.1 note with it's Android OS and a lot of freedom of using online 2nd party programs, will make Apple start giving people with iPads more freedom in using their iPads?

I don't foresee Apple getting rid of the current structure of iOS and the restrictions on how apps can interact with each other. In it's current state, the iPad is the best selling tablet in the world, with almost 70% of the market.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score

What does more freedom mean?

OP
I

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't foresee Apple getting rid of the current structure of iOS and the restrictions on how apps can interact with each other. In it's current state, the iPad is the best selling tablet in the world, with almost 70% of the market.

From what I see and read after the new Ipad3 if that is what people call it started selling many people kept their older iPad2s and a lot of the new first time buyers bought the older iPad2. Now with the new firm wear upgrade OS, many are very unhappy. Even Apple has said their Mapping program needs fixing. So I just wonder if Apple will hang onto the 70% tablet market share you say they have, or will the other Android tablets find in roads into the buying market and reduce that 70%.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Means being able to use other Apps from 2nd party programs like you can do on the Samsung and ASUS tablets.

I don't have any idea what this means.

There are thousands of apps from companies other than Apple that run on the iPad - all in the App Store. All available to you to use.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think he is referring to the ability of android to allow apps to be downloaded from third-party sources other than the Google play store. With iOS, apps only come from apples app store. I don't see any reason for apple to feel any pressure to change anything.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Who cares where you get your apps. I don't see a difference in downloading apps from a store or elsewhere.

So as long as you can get apps it really doesn't matter IMHO.

Sent from my iPad 3 still running on iOS 5.1.1

OP
I

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think he is referring to the ability of android to allow apps to be downloaded from third-party sources other than the Google play store. With iOS, apps only come from apples app store. I don't see any reason for apple to feel any pressure to change anything.

Thank you for explaining my comment.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you want to get apps from the third party world - Jailbreak your device. I like the fact that my iPad and iPhone just work. I have found some issues with apps during some upgrades, but nothing like the Android world (kind of like the MS world). The only reason more Android phones don't just stop when installing all these third party apps is the hardware, on each phone model, doesn't get adapted or modified (can't install new graphics, upgrade the processor, sound card etc) so you have a lot of good programmers and a lot of hacks in the Android world. You can't have the hacks in the iOS world due to the control Apple maintains.

Most reactions

Latest posts