What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will my iPad2 sync up with iPad1 data in iTunes

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am getting an iPad2 in the next week or so and have already passed on my iPad1 to somebody else. I have a few apps and other data in iTunes that was sync'd with my iPad1. Will this data sync down to my new iPad2 when I connect to iTunes for the first time? That is what I want to happen. If not, how do I make iTunes do this?

Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the other Forum members, twerppoet, posted this

"In iTunes, with your iPad connected, choose you iPad under devices.

Right click on the iPad and do a Backup.

Right click on the iPad and choose Transfer Purchases.

Explore iTunes on the computer and make sure all your media and apps are there.

That will do most of what you need. To be on the safe side, go through any of your apps that store or create documents and make sure you email, or otherwise save them to the computer. Be sure to include the Saved Pictures album in iPhotos.

When you get your new iPad sync it to same account and computer. Right click on the device and choose Restore from Backup. I'm not completely sure of the right sequence in the restore procedure, so you might want to grab the iPad User's Guide. But as long as you did the first part with the old iPad you should be able to fumble you're way to a complete recovery of all your stuff.

Before you send back your iPad, be sure to Restore it from the main device screen. This will remove all your personal data and set it to the same state you received it in."

Hope you enjoy your iPad2 - send us your impressions!

Tim
Scotland - snowing hard!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The way data is stored on iPad 2 is not known for us yet. Since you've already passed on your first gen it won't be that easy and I'm not sure any backup from ipad1 will be compatible with ipad2. But if you had taken the time to hook up your iPad 1 to iTunes and taken screenshots of every feature you would have been able to reconstruct your favorite contents and links more easily.
One sure group of content will be easy to reload when you link this iPad to your iTunes account, it's the purchases...

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
One of the other Forum members, twerppoet, posted this

"In iTunes, with your iPad connected, choose you iPad under devices.

Right click on the iPad and do a Backup.

Right click on the iPad and choose Transfer Purchases.

Explore iTunes on the computer and make sure all your media and apps are there.

That will do most of what you need. To be on the safe side, go through any of your apps that store or create documents and make sure you email, or otherwise save them to the computer. Be sure to include the Saved Pictures album in iPhotos.

When you get your new iPad sync it to same account and computer. Right click on the device and choose Restore from Backup. I'm not completely sure of the right sequence in the restore procedure, so you might want to grab the iPad User's Guide. But as long as you did the first part with the old iPad you should be able to fumble you're way to a complete recovery of all your stuff.

Before you send back your iPad, be sure to Restore it from the main device screen. This will remove all your personal data and set it to the same state you received it in."

Hope you enjoy your iPad2 - send us your impressions!

Tim
Scotland - snowing hard!

So if I'm gonna both iPad 1 & 2 I can jus sigh up the ipad2 under the name I use for the first iPad if I want them to have the same stuff on both?

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
When You just connect iPad 2, iTunes should ask you, if you want to restore. Just select yes.

And that will just take everything that stored in my iTunes account and put on the new ipad2? And it won't affect me adding to each device whenever I want?

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Samuelchua said:
I am sure it's the same way as upgrading from iPhone 3 to 4. Restore from backup.

Well I haven't had an iPhone before but me and my wife plan on using both iPads it's what I'm saying but I wanted alot of the stuff off the original iPad on the 2 since ill be using it more

CHT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Samuelchua said:
I am sure it's the same way as upgrading from iPhone 3 to 4. Restore from backup.

Well I haven't had an iPhone before but me and my wife plan on using both iPads it's what I'm saying but I wanted alot of the stuff off the original iPad on the 2 since ill be using it more

accordlayingkit,

Reading and comprehension seem to be tough for many of the overly excited future iPad2 owners. I don't think they are grasping the fact that you are NOT trading in your current iPad, so there is NO reason to restore it to the factory default.

Guys and Gals - The question is, can you have your apps from iTunes sync'd simultaneously on both his CURRENT iPad and his NEW iPad2. I too am curious as to the answer of this question.

Reaction score
CHT said:
accordlayingkit,

Reading and comprehension seem to be tough for many of the overly excited future iPad2 owners. I don't think they are grasping the fact that you are NOT trading in your current iPad, so there is NO reason to restore it to the factory default.

Guys and Gals - The question is, can you have your apps from iTunes sync'd simultaneously on both his CURRENT iPad and his NEW iPad2. I too am curious as to the answer of this question.

Yes, that's what the restore is for. You can have your apps on as many iOS devices, as you want. But if you want to keep the settings, you restore on the new iPad.

Just thinking about it logically, the previous iPad won't know, that you have restored its backup on another device, will it?

CHT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can have your apps on as many iOS devices, as you want.

Thank You! And yea, that makes sense ie: if there's an update to an app, or you download a new app on, say your iPad2, your old iPad wouldn't know you made any changes, until you sync them both up.

Thanks for clearing that up.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CHT said:
accordlayingkit,

Winning......duh!! Lol

Most reactions

Latest posts