What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will iPad 2 Work With Apple TV?

pvdg42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm really confused about the title question.
I've found articles online that indicate my iPad 2 will work with Apple TV to display the iPad screen on my HDTV, like this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Stream-an-iPad’s-Screen-to-a-TV-with-Apple-TV

So, I went to a nearby Apple Store today to ask them about it and (I thought) to purchase an Apple TV. However, the employee at the store looked at my iPad 2, looking for the AirPlay icon (IOS 7) and couldn't find it (it appears from the internet articles that the AirPlay icon will not appear unless there is an AirPlay device (i.e. an Apple TV) on the same network as the iPad). He then said that I must be mistaken and that my iPad 2 cannot work with Apple TV. I left the store disappointed and empty handed.

So, what is the truth? What I found online or what the Apple Store "expert" told me? I don't want to go buy the Apple TV and set it up only to find that it will never work with my iPad 2.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

OP
P

pvdg42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, Brian 244.
Am I correct that the AirPlay icon will not appear unless my iPad2 is on the same network with an AirPlay device (i.e. an Apple TV)?
Right now, there is no AirPlay icon on my control panel, because I don't have the Apple TV yet?

OP
P

pvdg42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both (Brian 244 and J. A.) for your help. I appreciate it!
Still trying to get my head around the misinformation I received at the Apple Store. I guess the employees there are not selected for product knowledge ?!?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you both (Brian 244 and J. A.) for your help. I appreciate it!
Still trying to get my head around the misinformation I received at the Apple Store. I guess the employees there are not selected for product knowledge ?!?

Usually they are well trained and knowledgable, but no organization is perfect, and even capable, normally competent people have bad days.

Most reactions