What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi tethering with my phone

Chaga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I recently upgraded my iPad2 to IOS6, and like probably half the population, I lost my ability to connect to my home network. The iPad still connects to other networks, and all my home devices are still connected to my home network.
After reading over a thousand 'solution' posts, and trying every single one of them, I am still unable to connect to it. I get the 'Unable to join xxxx Network' dreaded message.
So until they issue a new patch, the only way for me to read the news in bed, is by pairing my iPad to my tethered Galaxy S3.
Now the issue I am facing is the following:
Since my S3 is already using WiFi to connect to my home net, the only way I can get connected with the iPad is through Bluetooth, which keeps disconnecting for weird reasons.
I go to my pairing section on the iPad only to see it disconnected, and when I click on it, 50% of the times it says unable to do so, so I kinda need to reboot both devices, and restart the whole process for each new session.
This brings me to my question.
Is there any application that will allow my S3 to connect to my WiFi, and at the same time become a WiFi hotspot? At the moment, as soon as I enable the hotspot option, it tells me it needs to shut down WiFi, thus only giving me the Bluetooth option.

To make it simple, the ways I can connect are:
WiFi->S3->Bluetooth<-iPad
or
3G->S3->WiFi Hotspot<-iPad
and what I need is:
WiFi-S3->WiFi Hotspot<-iPad

Not sure if what I wrote makes sense :p, so please feel free to ask for more clarifications if needed.
Thanks.
C.

Last edited:

caningit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same issue with the ios6 it is so much harder to connect anyway!

I can connect at home, but my Foxfi will not connect and my work wireless will connect. I turn on my Foxfi and the wheel spins and spins. The hotspot is listed but it will not connect.

Something that was so simple before doesn't work.

Any solutions?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try resetting network connections.

Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Connections.

caningit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried it

I tried it and it still
will not connect like before. It circles and circles but will not connect. Maybe I should reset Foxfi?

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may try resetting your router (if you haven't already). After I upgraded to IOS 6 I was unable to connect to the WiFi at my gym and after countless resets I finally asked the staff to unplug the router and plug it back in and it worked.

caningit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seneca18 said:
You may try resetting your router (if you haven't already). After I upgraded to IOS 6 I was unable to connect to the WiFi at my gym and after countless resets I finally asked the staff to unplug the router and plug it back in and it worked.

Foxfi just came out saying they do not support the Ipad 3 any longer.

Any other apps to act as a hot spot?

OP
C

Chaga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After reading over a thousand 'solution' posts, and trying every single one of them, I am still unable to connect to it. I get the 'Unable to join xxxx Network' dreaded message.

On the apple forums there are over 150 pages in 2 threads complaining about WiFi connectivity. I read them all, and tried all the proposed solutions, that included resetting router, network settings, setting proxy to auto while keeping it blank, changing router channels, changing router security, clearing safari cache, etc...
And none worked for my case, thus bringing me to the only solution being tethering.
What I am curious to find out is whether I can use my phone as a bridge between the router and the iPad, through WiFi only and skipping Bluetooth.
From what I've read, is that iPad Bluetooth is made initially to be compatible with Apple devices only (like the keyboard or earphone), and that's the reason it bugs out a lot when you tether it to another phone.

caningit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My real question is what is the difference between Bluetooth and tethering? Can I use Bluetooth to use the Internet? I know battery life is an issue, but not for me since I always have a second battery.

I think it must be the Ipad since the hotspot shows up on the Ipad but just will not connect.

I do a lot of work where there is no router and really need the Internet connection to work. PLease let me know if you find a way to fix this.

I have the Ipad 3.

Thanks

OP
C

Chaga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
caningit said:
My real question is what is the difference between Bluetooth and tethering? Can I use Bluetooth to use the Internet? I know battery life is an issue, but not for me since I always have a second battery.

I think it must be the Ipad since the hotspot shows up on the Ipad but just will not connect.

I do a lot of work where there is no router and really need the Internet connection to work. PLease let me know if you find a way to fix this.

I have the Ipad 3.

Thanks

The difference between tethering and Bluetooth is the following:
Tethering = sharing one device's internet connectivity with another. It can happen through Bluetooth, USB, or wifi.
Bluetooth = just a means of communication between 2 devices.

As a simple example, you're in the middle of nowhere with no wifi in range, but your phone has 3G or LTE with a data plan. If you need to have Internet access on your laptop, you will 'tether' it to your phone either through a USB cable or wifi or bluetooth.
The same would apply or other devices (like an iPad) that can communicate with your phone using the above mentioned ways of communication.

Hope that made sense.

Talk2USoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There was an app that was pulled from the Apple store the day it was released, called TETHER. It was written for iPhone but worked great on (cellular) iPad as well. Course, I haven't tried it since upgrading to iOS6, but I have no reason to believe it wouldn't still work.

Most reactions

Latest posts