What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi range

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read in one review that the iPad 2 had a lower Wifi range than the original iPad. Has anyone experienced similar or have any comment on this?

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried this today. My router in down stairs in a finished basement. I went outside and into out metal pole barn, 279 feet and had a very weak signal.

ThePhotog

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried this today. My router in down stairs in a finished basement. I went outside and into out metal pole barn, 279 feet and had a very weak signal.

ThePhotog

LOL I don't get it. Of course you will have a weak signal! Your router is in the basement and you went outside and walked 279 feet into a metal barn! lol What kind of signal strength do you think the ipad pumps out? lol

If you want to test it out go to the most further and highest part IN your house and check the signal strength.

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey man. I had to try the barn. It worked and my wife often will not venture into the barn. Peace and quite. :)

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd be more curious if you had an iPad 1 to compare the signal strength with.

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wi-fi strength is determined by your router, not by your ipad.

I'm talking about iPad 1 v iPad 2 side by side. Does the iPad 1 report a higher signal strength indicating better Wifi reception than the new one.

Reaction score

ThePhotog

When you wrote metal pole barn my mind heard "metal man cave"
I have an Incredible and the wifi range on my ipad 1 is about the same as it. That's the closest I can compare. Its greater than my daughters laptop and Samsung Omnia phone by a lot

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
but iPad and iPad2 have the same solo wifi antenna and the same reception.

One of the reviews I read stated that the iPad 2 had a noticeably smaller Wifi range than the iPad 1 and attributed this to the internal antenna being relocated in the thinner chassis since both devices shared the same Wifi chip.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that link - very interesting to see the differences between the CDMA and UMTS models.

Tim
Scotland

Viper272

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I have. That was the first thing I noticed the first time I turned on my ipad2. It was right beside my ipad1 and it showed one bar less than ipad1. And it does so all over the house...

Guess they changed the antenna. Both are runninh iOS 4.3.1

Knut

I read in one review that the iPad 2 had a lower Wifi range than the original iPad. Has anyone experienced similar or have any comment on this?

Kaibuc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is True. The Signale strenght is significantly lower on Ipad 2 then on Ipad1 and IPhone 4.

By placing the three, in the same room next to each other, and seeing the signal strenght in the system Info web interface on a Buffalo DD-WRT Router. The strenghts are as follows
Ipad1 45 %
Ipad2 34%
Iphone 4 42%

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You cannot trust the built in signal meters to give you actual measurements of signal strength. They are guidelines only.

Most reactions

Latest posts