What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Connection problem with iPad

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased an iPad from Apple, and I have been having a problem getting a connection to my wifi home service only. When I begin using the iPad from sleep mode there is no wifi connection. It takes about a good 5 minutes for the wifi service to begin working with the iPad. The iPad has no problems when it is used with another wifi service such as with my employer. Also I have other computer equipment in my home where it picks up wifi service with no problem.

Please advise. Thanks.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I purchased an iPad from Apple, and I have been having a problem getting a connection to my wifi home service only. When I begin using the iPad from sleep mode there is no wifi connection. It takes about a good 5 minutes for the wifi service to begin working with the iPad. The iPad has no problems when it is used with another wifi service such as with my employer. Also I have other computer equipment in my home where it picks up wifi service with no problem.

Please advise. Thanks.

Try resetting your router/modem by disconnecting it, then wait a minute and re-connect. Then restart your iPad.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try resetting your router/modem by disconnecting it, then wait a minute and re-connect. Then restart your iPad.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Andrew. I tried that, but the problem still exists with my iPad, but not with my pc lap top and my android phone. I paid $600 for iPad, and I got an appointment at the Apple Store Saturday.

OP
DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, the guy on the phone from Apple told me it could be Verizon or the router, but like I stated the problem does not exist with my other computer devices I use in my home.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, the guy on the phone from Apple told me it could be Verizon or the router, but like I stated the problem does not exist with my other computer devices I use in my home.

Check your router settings, I have problems if my router is set up for a standard 20 Mhz bandwidth. I always have to reset the router to auto (both) or just wide (40 MHz channel width). My router, for some reason, always defaults pack to narrow channel width.

Also, check your router's security and make sure the iPad is set up correctly for the settings.

OP
DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check your router settings, I have problems if my router is set up for a standard 20 Mhz bandwidth. I always have to reset the router to auto (both) or just wide (40 MHz channel width). My router, for some reason, always defaults pack to narrow channel width.

Also, check your router's security and make sure the iPad is set up correctly for the settings.

Thanks. I got to talk to Apple about the settings. I have no idea how to do it. Maybe I will have to call Netgear, which provides my router, or Verizon for the Internet service.......?...

OP
DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rule out the iPad. Go somewhere where there is free wifi and see if the iPad connects and works.

It works fine at my office. Should I try Starbucks, or can I rule out the iPad now?

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
If it works fine elsewhere, the issue is with your home network. Hard to say where your issues is - dont know the exact router or the exact settings. Sometimes it is best to take it back to factory settings and start over from scratch. How old is the router? If more than 3 years old, may just be time to get a new one.

OP
DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it works fine elsewhere, the issue is with your home network. Hard to say where your issues is - dont know the exact router or the exact settings. Sometimes it is best to take it back to factory settings and start over from scratch. How old is the router? If more than 3 years old, may just be time to get a new one.

The router works fine with my android phone and PC. I'm either going to have to call Netgear or Verizon? Then if I get no where, I will get a new router. Could I have entered the info from my router the wrong way into my iPad?

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Before you think that the problem is on the router, it's really right if you check on some other connections and if the problem still exists then the ipad has issues.

OP
DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before you think that the problem is on the router, it's really right if you check on some other connections and if the problem still exists then the ipad has issues.

I got to call tech support when I am home. I called them while I am at work, and they told me that the settings on my iPad are not set up properly for my router. I have free
Tech support good for a year thru Iyogi. They are really good. Ever hear of them?

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
First of all, it does not matter what else is working, since the settings on the other devices are cached. You stated the iPad works outside your house. Therefore, the issue is with your home network. We only have the vague info you give us here. No hands on or anything.

Personally, I would delete the network from all your devices and then reset the router to factory, make sure it is fully patched to the latest firmware and set it back up again. Start from square one. If it still doesn't work, replace the router. They do break, and the issues are very random. My last one stopped allowing video streaming and I could not download large files, but I could surf and play games. I went through the full reset of the router and finally had to get a new one.

And calling tech support about an issue with your home while at work does nothing more than frustrate the tech you are calling. Make sure you are at home where you can test before calling.

OP
DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, it does not matter what else is working, since the settings on the other devices are cached. You stated the iPad works outside your house. Therefore, the issue is with your home network. We only have the vague info you give us here. No hands on or anything.

Personally, I would delete the network from all your devices and then reset the router to factory, make sure it is fully patched to the latest firmware and set it back up again. Start from square one. If it still doesn't work, replace the router. They do break, and the issues are very random. My last one stopped allowing video streaming and I could not download large files, but I could surf and play games. I went through the full reset of the router and finally had to get a new one.

And calling tech support about an issue with your home while at work does nothing more than frustrate the tech you are calling. Make sure you are at home where you can test before calling.

Yes, you are correct. I just wanted to see ahead of time what the tech had to say to see if i had an issue thru them. i found out it was valid, so on my free time at home I will give Iyogi a call. And who cares if it bothers the tech when I call from work. They charge enough money, so to me it was worth calling them from my office. Thanks for you input.

Most reactions

Latest posts