What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wi-fi printing

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi - I just bought an Epson WF-2540 printer ad would like to print from my ipad 2
I set up the wi-fi on the printer and all is working fine. I could print from my computer with no problem.
I then tried to print from the ipad ad it tells me that it can't find the printer.
Am I missing something here? Do I need to install an app so that I am able to print from the ipad.
My wife was all excited, but now a bit down.
Any help would be appreciated
I am running the latest operating system on the ipad2
Thank you

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - well in checking this AirPrint Support Article and also the Epson Website, your printer is AirPrint compatible - I'd suggest reading the documentation to see if there is a printer setting that must be selected (had to do the same last year when I bought a new Canon printer); of course, you could also power recycle the printer (i.e. on-off or pull the plug) and 'Reset' the iPad - let us know. Dave :)

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did read those articles before I posted but still can't seem to get it to work.
I was wondering if I need to install a printing app or should it without installing anything into the ipad

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I did read those articles before I posted but still can't seem to get it to work.
I was wondering if I need to install a printing app or should it without installing anything into the ipad

Hi again - since the printer is AirPrint compatible, there should be no need for an additional app. Did you have any problems in installing the printer drivers? Are you running the printer wirelessly or cabled to a computer? If the latter (and assuming you also have a computer), you might want to try a USB connection to see if the AirPrint works (just saying, these 'wireless + wireless' connections can be problematic; my Canon printer is cabled via USB)? If still no go, then you may need to start a discussion w/ Epson - however, should just work! Dave :)

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The installation went very smooth.
At the moment the printer is not connected the computer via the USB cable.
If connected with a USB cable, would the computer need to be on in order for the "wireless" to work?
Thank you

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since It's getting late here now and I don't have access to my wife's Ipad - I'll take another crack at it again tomorrow, and try out the all the suggestions.
Thanks guys...

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Make sure the iPad and the printer are on the same wifi network other wise it will not work

If you connect the printer via USB to your computer, and the iPad is working w/ the printer's built-in AirPrint capability (and both are on the same wireless network, as indicated by Col.bris), then turning off the computer should not make a difference; now if you had a non-AirPrint printer and an app on the computer to simulate that wireless printing technology (like I did w/ my old PC), then the printer would obviously need to be on.

Bottom line is to either find out how to activate AirPrint on the Epson device (I believe that on my Canon last year, I did need to pick the right network), give the printer USB connection a try, and/or contact Epson support. Dave :)

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a follow up.
I connected my printer to the computer via the USB cable - no change
The printer did print from the computer when it was connected "Wireless"
I rebooted the ipad (pressing the "hold button" and the "Home Button") - no change
I did double check to see if I was on the same network - I was
I guess I now all I have left is to contact Epson and see if they could figure this out.
I want to thank you all for your suggestions. I'm sure in a normal situation that they would have fixed my problem.
It seems though, mine is not a normal situation
Thank you all...

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just a follow up.
I connected my printer to the computer via the USB cable - no change
The printer did print from the computer when it was connected "Wireless"
I rebooted the ipad (pressing the "hold button" and the "Home Button") - no change
I did double check to see if I was on the same network - I was
I guess I now all I have left is to contact Epson and see if they could figure this out.
I want to thank you all for your suggestions. I'm sure in a normal situation that they would have fixed my problem.
It seems though, mine is not a normal situation
Thank you all...

Sorry for your continual problem - as in bold above, maybe you should just contact Epson for their advice - I have no other suggestions @ the moment - Dave

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I do see your point and, yes, that is what I'm going to do next - contact Epson.
Again, like I said - Thank you all for all your suggestions - thank you

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a short note:
I have contacted Epson this morning, but have not heard from them thus far.
I explained to them the step by step things I have done and also my end result "cannot find printer"
I'm hoping to hear from them soon.
I will report back if the resolve this and also how it was done.

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a short follow up:
This is the response that I got from Epson.
"Based on the information you provided, it appears that your wireless network is set for IPV6 (latest version of IP) which is not guaranteed to work with Epson products. The printer (WF-2540) was designed to work with IPV4"
They suggested that I contact my router vendor to make changes on the network setup.
I have now contacted the D-Link people. No reply as of yet.

Most reactions

Latest posts